DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Can I use my Droid as a live webcam?

  1. Senior Droid
    jodyberry's Avatar
    Member #
    15312
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    188
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #1

    Can I use my Droid as a live webcam?

    I've searched but can't find info about if the Droid can be used as a live webcam. Not to VIEW webcam feeds, but to actually be used as a webcam. Seems like it should be an easy thing (technologically).

    Any ideas?




    Thanks...
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Master Droid
    bastosero's Avatar
    Member #
    25375
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    531
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyberry View Post
    I've searched but can't find info about if the Droid can be used as a live webcam. Not to VIEW webcam feeds, but to actually be used as a webcam. Seems like it should be an easy thing (technologically).

    Any ideas?




    Thanks...
    Check out Qik app in the market.
  4. Senior Droid
    Rettocs's Avatar
    Member #
    13562
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    177
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bastosero View Post

    Check out Qik app in the market.
    Came in to post that
  5. Droid Sensei
    JhankG's Avatar
    Member #
    250
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Summerfield, NC
    Posts
    3,098
    Phone
    Droid X
    #4
    There is also a ustream app that's similar to the qik app.
  6. Senior Droid
    jodyberry's Avatar
    Member #
    15312
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    188
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #5
    Those are cool, but none of them works as a true 2 way webcam (for Skype or similar).

    Qik only allows you to record video to their website and then share it.
  7. Droid
    ebarcus's Avatar
    Member #
    9426
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in a bus, in the emerald city
    Posts
    57
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #6
    everyone says qik ITS NOT A WEB CAM

    i too am looking for an answer to this, searching and cant find
    debating rooting the phone and seeing if i could find where the camera is located hoping that it is like in Linux (/dev/video0) then go from there, if i could get a small camera testing program to compile on the device ill post the results

    when others havent done it, do it yourself
  8. Droid
    cideas's Avatar
    Member #
    13008
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    48
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ebarcus View Post
    everyone says qik ITS NOT A WEB CAM

    i too am looking for an answer to this, searching and cant find
    debating rooting the phone and seeing if i could find where the camera is located hoping that it is like in Linux (/dev/video0) then go from there, if i could get a small camera testing program to compile on the device ill post the results

    when others havent done it, do it yourself
    Just checked.. theres 3 of them
    ls -l /dev/
    crwxrwx--- 1 1013 1006 81, 0 Feb 10 18:25 video0
    crwxrwx--- 1 1013 1003 81, 1 Feb 10 18:25 video1
    crwxrwx--- 1 1013 1003 81, 2 Feb 10 18:25 video2
  9. Junior Droid
    Droidiac's Avatar
    Member #
    18848
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    13
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #8
    I found an app called usb webcam. I haven't tried it yet but am going to soon, let me know how it works if u wanna try it.
  10. Droid
    ebarcus's Avatar
    Member #
    9426
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in a bus, in the emerald city
    Posts
    57
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cideas View Post

    Just checked.. theres 3 of them
    ls -l /dev/
    crwxrwx--- 1 1013 1006 81, 0 Feb 10 18:25 video0
    crwxrwx--- 1 1013 1003 81, 1 Feb 10 18:25 video1
    crwxrwx--- 1 1013 1003 81, 2 Feb 10 18:25 video2

    sweet, now, i guess tonight is the night i finally do it, ive "rooted" (i know its not the same) many other devices since 2000. The process will be... outlined for me on the forums, haha alrighty ill report back and IF i start to work on getting anything compiled ill start a thread in the dev side of this ship

    for anyone else watching this, aim me if ya like xprojectzaox or PM for gtalk and if anyones got hints at any special tools you use for deving in linux let me know
  11. possessedskier's Avatar
    Member #
    15455
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York State, USA
    Posts
    75
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyberry View Post
    Qik only allows you to record video to their website and then share it.
    Not true. I have viewed live Qik video from my Droid on my laptop. They give a link to the live video that you can share while it's recording.
    Last edited by possessedskier; 02-11-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Using Droid as USB webcam
    By vwpanda in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 01:45 PM
  2. Webcam
    By drrabazz in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
  3. Any way to watch laptop webcam from droid?
    By JoeeDB in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 12:42 PM
  4. Streaming Webcam on Droid?
    By thekC in forum Android Audio and Video
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 08:36 PM
  5. webcam
    By kedens in forum Android Audio and Video
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 01:50 PM

Search tags for this page

can i use a droid 2 as a webcam on my laptop
,

can i use my droid as a web cam

,

can i use my droid as a webcam

,
can my android be used as a webcam
,
can my droid be used as a webcam
,
can you use droid as a web cam
,
droid x as webcam
,
how can i use a webcam on my android?
,
how to use droid cam
,

use droid x as webcam

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+