DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Record! SMS App sends 450 characters in single SMS!

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Admire

New Record! SMS App sends 450 characters in single SMS!

A new app, KyshMysh compresses upto 450 characters into a single SMS, versus the default limit of 160!

It's FREE on the Android Market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kandroid.mms

Check out their promo YouTube video here: KyshMysh App Promotional Video - YouTube

KyshMysh employs cutting edge compression techniques to pack as many as 450 English characters into a single SMS. Think of KyshMysh as an incredibly good “zip” utility for text messaging.

Secret Sauce: KyshMysh's patent pending technology uses a training algorithm to “teach” the app a given language. Currently, KyshMysh is fluent in English, and has been able to compress upto 450 characters to within 160, which is the upper limit of the SMS standard. However, much like an infant learning a new language, KyshMysh doesn’t compress (comprehend) words and patterns that it hasn’t encountered during training, or is statistically unlike the rest of the language. For instance, the word “Djibouti” is statistically very different from a regular English word, in that it is rare for a “j” to follow a “D” in regular English. If you input gibberish into KyshMysh, its compression ratio drastically reduces. Similarly, compression of other languages won’t be on par with that of English.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Tried. Wont work.. error 33001

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    spending way too my time with my BIONIC
  4. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Frankly, anybody that I need to send that much in a message has an email account on their phone. Plus, they have to have KyshMysh installed as well for it to work, otherwise it's gibberish to them.

Sorry, I'm suspicious of anyone who's first post is promoting something.
    Last edited by aaf709; 02-23-2012 at 06:52 PM.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Tried, and it worked perfectly. I sent myself a message with over 400 characters. The app returned to me a message from 143 character sms compressed to an uncompressed message witb the original number of characters word and letter for word and letter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    mankash likes this.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    Frankly, anybody that I need to send that much in a message has an email account on their phone. Plus, they have to have KyshMysh installed as well for it to work, otherwise it's gibberish to them.

Sorry, I'm suspicious of anyone who's first post is promoting something.
    Your concern is understandable, however I tried it, it worked exactly as expected. I was skeptical, but my skepticism disappeared once I tried it.

"Professor FoxKat"
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Admire

Word From Developer

Hello Folks!

Thanks for trying the app. I developed it. It's legit, works as advertised. The 450 is NOT a hard limit. The closer your message is to the training algorithm used, the better the compression.

When trying the app the first time, Try sending the following message:

Kira, a Bornean orangutan became the first animal to be inserted with a birth control device meant for humans, as the Cleveland zoo didn't want her to get pregnant. In exchange for his medical services, the assisting doctor got to ride a giant tortoise. If only animals could neuter humans & ride them as trophies.

When compressed, the message looks like: ,00.YG*FQX2vAnd.N.a f0U#b&2":FqTI'U7a62#oZo6fpaFJ"m l1A5'r=adF>lpdWnGX0%<ZB;#U" LALv'?O0A1"-=No= .7f#J)j=!z5Aw)8EG#JjB V7'pby0pz7Pqakkd

If you send the message to a device with KyshMysh intalled, it decmopresses perfetly.

Give it a try. And remember, I'm here to answer any questions.

Cheers
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Admire
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood67 View Post
    Tried. Wont work.. error 33001

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    Hello Hollywood67! I'm the developer of the app. I've never encountererd this error before. If you can be a little more descreptive, I can help you smoothen your ride with KyshMysh. Also, please look at my previous post about trying the app the first time around.

Cheers!
  9. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Your concern is understandable, however I tried it, it worked exactly as expected. I was skeptical, but my skepticism disappeared once I tried it.

You did try it, and it worked, that's true, but your test was sending a message to yourself. The flaw is that everyone you send a message to has to have that app installed. You'd have to contact your friends before sending them a message using this app so they can install the app so you can send a long one. A bit complicated, you'll have to agree. I know my friends wouldn't as they prefer short text messages.
    Last edited by aaf709; 02-23-2012 at 08:14 PM.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Admire
    You did try it, and it worked, that's true, but your test was sending a message to yourself. The flaw is that everyone you send a message to has to have that app installed. You'd have to contact your friends before sending them a message using this app so they can install the app so you can send a long one. A bit complicated.

Since my texts are short, I'll give it a pass.
    aaf709 - You're right. Both the sender and receiver needs the app installed. JUST like any other form of peer-to-peer communication (Skype, WhatsApp, Gtalk ...). That said, we're also working on use cases that do not require 2 people to enjoy the app - say news updates from a server to your phone direct. That would be of GREAT benifit to people without data plans, and those who have free incoming SMS (most of the world other than the US). Feel free to suggest feature you'd like. We're listening.
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    You did try it, and it worked, that's true, but your test was sending a message to yourself. The flaw is that everyone you send a message to has to have that app installed. You'd have to contact your friends before sending them a message using this app so they can install the app so you can send a long one. A bit complicated.

Since my texts are short, I'll give it a pass.
    Well, your observation is right in one aspect...both sides need the app installed, but my test was not flawed. Just like if I want to video chat with someone else on Tango, both I and the other party need to install Tango. Want to have "push to talk" with Tikl, both parties have to install Tikl. Want Bluetooth file transfer, both sides need the tool to communicate.

The app is free, it works, and can cut your texting costs by two thirds. I see that as something worthy of consideration. Don't get me wrong, TextFree works for unlimited texts, is free, and...wait...it's coming...only requires one party to install to use, but if both want to reduce texting costs, both, yes, I said both have to install.

The one thing that this app has over other text apps that are free is that it doesn't use the data connection. The text goes out over the normal cellular connection, just like normal texts. In fact, all it does is compress the text to a character algorithm when sending, and then uncompresses on the other side, not much different than a Zip file compression. It's a simple and almost too obvious solution to a problem that plagues many who text a lot. So instead of having over 1,000 texts in a month, you could potentially have only 375. Think of the money in text overage charges that could save. That alone is enough to put it in a class by itself.

Last edited by FoxKat; 02-23-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    mankash likes this.

"Professor FoxKat"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links