DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: How Hard Would This Be In Tasker?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid

How Hard Would This Be In Tasker?

I bought Tasker but so far I still haven't been able to do anything useful with it and, in frustration, went back to Smart Actions. However, now I have a limitation in that app that is pushing me to go back to Tasker.

My girlfriend worries when I'm out driving late at night and always wants me to send a text to her upon my safe arrival home. Of course, being me, I forget 80% of the time and then I get hell the next day.

What I'd like is, generally, for a task to send her a specific text message every time I get home (the phone sees my WiFi connection--at least I think that's likely the best way to know) anytime after 10pm and before 6am. However, that's a problem for Smart Actions. The issue is that Smart Actions can't tell if I was out or not and at 10pm every single day it sends her a text message simply because it sees my WiFi at 10pm.

So I got to thinking, what if, at 10pm Tasker checked to see if it sees my WiFi. If it does it sets a variable to "home". Then, if I leave at say 11pm a task can update it to "away" and if I return later another task would see that it's after 10pm, that it sees my WiFi and the variable was set to "away" and thus I'm coming in from somewhere. It would then change the variable back to "home" and send her a text saying I'm okay.

How much digging will I need to do to pull something like this off and is it even possible? Is there a better way?

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Take a look at the developer's Wiki... under profiles you'll see "Text me when you get home!". I think that should do what you want with maybe a few slight modifications.

Links