DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you need the internet plan to download apps?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    razor

do you need the internet plan to download apps?

what can i really do on the droid without having internet on it?

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    You can't even have the Droid on the Verizon network without having a data plan...so not a whole lot.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    You could buy a droid with the plan, then disable the plan and put a cheap phone in place of the droid.. basically making the droid an application platform with wifi, but no cell service. It then becomes another ipod touch like device.

To answer the question, you can download .apk files and drag/drop them to your device when its connected to the USB cable.. I think you can find all the .apk files that are free on the store over the net.. not sure tho. I think you can also do it via wifi without cell service..but honestly I am not sure. I know the android store is not part of verizion..they host it.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    LG Voyager
    Quote Originally Posted by andjarnic View Post
    You could buy a droid with the plan, then disable the plan and put a cheap phone in place of the droid.. basically making the droid an application platform with wifi, but no cell service. It then becomes another ipod touch like device.
    I'm pretty sure they will not let you disable the data plan. Verizon make all smart phones have data plans
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I'm pretty sure they will not let you disable the data plan. Verizon make all smart phones have data plans
    They can, will, and have. They will not make you have a data plan on a line with a dumb phone. No way, no how. The contract you signed is for a voice plan. That is all. You can change your voice plan at any time, but may or may not extend your contract depending on promotion.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by medicTHREE View Post
    They can, will, and have. They will not make you have a data plan on a line with a dumb phone. No way, no how. The contract you signed is for a voice plan. That is all. You can change your voice plan at any time, but may or may not extend your contract depending on promotion.
    You willing to put some money down on that? I work for verizon and its not an option if you are using our network. Sorry no can do. Its been that way since the xv6800
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xjman349 View Post

You willing to put some money down on that? I work for verizon and its not an option if you are using our network. Sorry no can do. Its been that way since the xv6800
    Read my Post. It related to removing the phone from the verizon network. DIdn't realize there were verizon employees here for me to dumb it down for, so here goes...

Take said droid, remove from plan, add dumb phone to account. You do not have to continue a data plan on dumb phone.

The post I'm responding to seemed to think that VZW would require he keep a data plan just for activating a vzw smart phone, despite having removed it.

You can buy the phone, remove it from vzw service and NOT pay for a data plan. I'll bet my house on that.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Sorry I have never heard of the term "dumb phone" before. I usually speak with intelligent people that explain themselves when they make up terms to sound intelligent. As the previous person said, that I was also speaking to if your phone was activated on the verizon wireless network then you are required to have a data plan. When you say you are going to take your phone off of the line are you saying that you are going to remove the phone you will have to have it on the account for at least 30 days.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    LOL.... You are intelligent and versed in everything mobile but haven't heard of "dumb phone". I suggest you spend some time going over the basics. If you think that a 2 hour training session from VZW makes you smarter than anyone here, you're full of it.

None the less, the OP could buy the DROID on his account, wait your 30 day period(which I think you are misunderstanding here) and then activate a different phone in its place. When you activate a different phone(dumb phone) in its place, the data plan will remove itself if done online. I just tried it(and I'm not 30 days out).

Thus, he gets the DROID for contract price, but has NO contractual obligation to keep a data plan. THe only way verizon forces a data plan is if there is a smart phone on the line.

Sweet jesus.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    LG Voyager
    Sorry didn't read the post right. I thought he said to keep the Droid on Verizon Network and disable the data plan later.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links