DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: App to waste data?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

App to waste data?

Is there an app I can download which does nothing but wastes bandwidth? Strange question, I know. I am grandfathered into an Unlimited Data plan through Verizon. I usually use about 8GB a month (Sometimes more) just downloading podcasts, netflix, Pandora etc. I am curious to see how much data I can use in 24-Hours.

Thanks!

Edit~~ I'm not trying to just waste bandwidth for the heck of it. Though I do believe as I am paying for it, I can do with it whatever I want. My goal is to do a real-world test to see how much the average person can actually download if they utilize their 3g connection for 24-Hours. I can do it by math but with the speeds changing throughout the day I can't be very accurate.
    Last edited by yensed; 09-29-2011 at 08:18 PM.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    DROIDX
    This is one of the reasons why "unlimited" anything is never sustainable in the long run.

Rather than running the download for an entire 24 hours, you should extrapolate:
    If your 3G download rate is a constant 1Mb/s, you will (theoretically) have downloaded about 10GB of data in 24 hours.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.
    Last edited by Natey2; 09-29-2011 at 12:56 AM.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    RobertMilk
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by yensed View Post
    Is there an app I can download which does nothing but wastes bandwidth? Strange question, I know. I am grandfathered into an Unlimited Data plan through Verizon. I usually use about 8GB a month (Sometimes more) just downloading podcasts, netflix, Pandora etc. I am curious to see how much data I can use in 24-Hours.

Thanks!
    I have no problem with you usage of 8 GB+ a month. I see that you are making good use of it.

I object to your attempt to waste bandwidth for 24 hours, when you could calculate it the value in minutes as opposed to wasting bandwidth for 24 hours.

This shows a good reason why the carriers cap and throttle bandwidth.

I know that yensed and others will not like my post, but here it is anyway.

Respectfully submitted,
    Bib
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Well, to answer your question instead of spewing my opinion.

I can't say there is an app that just wastes data. But you couulllddd....set up a waste email account and sign up to a bunch of sites that send you spam every day. Then set up your email app to poll every 5 minutes. Use all your social widgets and have them poll constantly as well. On top of this use pandora at 'high' quality and stream music 24/7, while running a torrent app like aDownloader with 10 consecutive torrents downloading at once.

That should solve your problem. And probably get your bandwidth throttled withtin 3 days.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    TomSr
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Wow, just wow.
    jcardona1 and jonamurphy like this.
    John 3:16
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2

Thanks!
    Here's a living example of why we will not be grandfathered in much longer - Tiered data plans for all. Some people go through life and don't really accomplish much, but you can proudly point to having helped end "Unlimited Data".
    jcardona1 likes this.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by kptphalkon View Post
    OP should re-read the TOS he agreed to. This usage is not permitted and that's not a matter of opinion. As stated above, what the OP is asking can easily be calculated. Keep in mind that the top 5% are throttled.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Twitter
    RobertMilk
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by kptphalkon View Post

That should solve your problem. And probably get your bandwidth throttled withtin 3 days.
    I did not spew any opinion. I stated the fact that "I object to your attempt to waste bandwidth for 24 hours,...." and an valid reasonable explanation "This shows a good reason why the carriers cap and throttle bandwidth."

If there was any opinion expressed it was positive "I have no problem with you usage of 8 GB+ a month. I see that you are making good use of it."

Bob
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I Understand I can calculate it - and have! But I wanted a real-world Test. And if there was some type of app I could download to test which is also beneficial to the world (Such as Folding@Home) I would.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    Here's a living example of why we will not be grandfathered in much longer - Tiered data plans for all. Some people go through life and don't really accomplish much, but you can proudly point to having helped end "Unlimited Data".
    Quote Originally Posted by REMilk View Post
    This shows a good reason why the carriers cap and throttle bandwidth.

Hahaha its so crazy to me when people are criticized for using the connection they pay for. No Cell service or ISP Needs to throttle or cap bandwidth. If their infrastructure is too weak to handle Usage then the company is in the wrong business and should just wither away and die. But the fact is its all for profits.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    If their infrastructure is too weak to handle Usage then the company is in the wrong business and should just wither away and die. But the fact is its all for profits.
    No, if the infrastructure can't keep up because of clowns intentionally loading the system, they'll charge the rest of us to upgrade it.
    Sent from my aaaaaaaaaa DROID3 <-- note all the runaway spaces
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links