DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Keyboard

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Hero

Smart Keyboard

Hello

I just started to develop a new soft keyboard for Android >= 2.0, called "Smart Keyboard", available in the market since yesterday.

It uses the multi-touch API added in Android 2.0, so I guess it is the first keyboard to have it for Android (?).
    I uploaded the first version for free, but it could be charged in the future...

As people reported it as not being "real multi-touch", I would be interested to have your feedback, as for me it is real multi-touch...

I am thinking of adding predictive input in a future version, but be patient

Looking forward for your comments, and please tell me on which phone you use it (it is developed on HTC Hero with an Android 2.1 test ROM)

--
    Cyril

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril View Post
    Hello

I just started to develop a new soft keyboard for Android >= 2.0, called "Smart Keyboard", available in the market since yesterday.

It uses the multi-touch API added in Android 2.0, so I guess it is the first keyboard to have it for Android (?).
    I uploaded the first version for free, but it could be charged in the future...

As people reported it as not being "real multi-touch", I would be interested to have your feedback, as for me it is real multi-touch...

I am thinking of adding predictive input in a future version, but be patient

Looking forward for your comments, and please tell me on which phone you use it (it is developed on HTC Hero with an Android 2.1 test ROM)

--
    Cyril
    Cyril, thanks a lot for your effort to develop a multitouch keyboard. I've been waiting on one forever it seems.

Here's my feedback: I would personally prefer a less blocky keyboard. What I mean by that is that for example, your A and Q keys are exactly on top of each other, as compared to the regular Android keyboard where they are space a bit differently (closer to a real keyboard). Perhaps you could appease everyone by just creating a skin system whereas people can skin the keyboard however they want. My second thought is this. When I hold down a key, and press another key, neither of them are printed til the screen until I release the second key. Would it be possible to print the first to the screen as soon as it is pressed, and same with the second? That's more of an aesthetic point really, as the end output is the same. Still I'd prefer it that way if possible.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    I just downloaded it and started using it for a little bit. Like everyone else was saying, it's definitely a step in the right direction and I'm really glad someone put one out. I personally don't like the layout of it and lack of auto correction but I understand this is still a beta.

Great job so far though, keep up the good work.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    very nice concept. I've been waiting for a multi touch keyboard. unfortunately now that i have it, i dont think i type fast enough to find much use of it. Hope to see some updates. Thanks
    Edit: oh and vpshockwave does have great points
    Last edited by luisdroid; 01-18-2010 at 02:27 AM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Hero
    Here's my feedback: I would personally prefer a less blocky keyboard. What I mean by that is that for example, your A and Q keys are exactly on top of each other, as compared to the regular Android keyboard where they are space a bit differently (closer to a real keyboard).
    Ok, I'll see what I can do for the layout, at least for QWERTY and AZERTY

When I hold down a key, and press another key, neither of them are printed til the screen until I release the second key. Would it be possible to print the first to the screen as soon as it is pressed, and same with the second?
    Strange.. for me, the first key is printed as soon as the second key is pressed. Maybe I can change the behavior for a future version if people ask for this.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Ill agree with everyone else and say its a great start but I also would like to see some auto correct and more intuitive key layout. Keep up the good work.

A few bugs I've seen are with fast typing it sometimes loses the first keypress. Also, when a second multitouch letter is pressed, it sometimes doesn't show the first letter right away. Finally the period is on the wrong side, while this may just be my preferance, it felt unnatural

It would also be great if you could add the voice input key like in the android 2.1 keyboard. Definitely an app id pay for though, look forward to updates
    Last edited by agdaniels; 01-18-2010 at 04:05 AM.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    yeah man it works nice, but, on mine, i have multitouch only if the 2 keys im trying to press are further than 3 keys away from eachother. if its closer than that then it doesnt work.

EDIT: It only does this in portrait mode...not landscape
    mode...but love it! great job!!!!!!
    Last edited by natediddy1120; 01-18-2010 at 04:17 AM.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Hero
    ok, ok, I'ill change the layout tonight, and try to make it less "blocky". And I will invert the period and the comma

--
    Cyril
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Make the letters bigger!
  11. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I think it's a nice start

I agree that the blocky keyboard is rather Meh....offset keys (not in rows straight up and down) seems to me to work better and seems more natural.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Links