DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Keyboard

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid DUH
    Tried it out for a bit...other than not having autocorrect, it doesn't seem that accurate IMO. Changing the language on the keyboard needs to be in the settings option ONLY, not a key on the keyboard itself. Some more updating and this will be great I think...call me when it gets better.
  2. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Errr lol I don't know if I was suppose to do this but i just nominated Smart Keyboard as part of a video review of the Nexus One and Keyboard replacements. lol It's for Droid Dog's a sub site of Phonedog.com. Errr soo it should be up sometime this week. I know it hasn't been perfected quite yet but as something as a first for the market and keyboard replacement I thought it deserved some exposure!
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Like currahee474 said above, the language shortcut needs to be removed from the keyboard and JUST in the settings. ALSO, can you make the letters a bit more bolder? They're quite hard to read when typing fast.

Keep up the good work!
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Hero
    Hello,
    thanks for your feedback.

Ok so I finally understood that all the people having trouble with the letter size + empty popups are the ones who own a Nexus One... Indeed it has a wider resolution (800x480) than HTC Hero, that's why I didn't see the problem, but now I have reproduced it wih the emulator, so the problem will be hopefully fixed soon!

For the people who don't like the language key, can you explain me what is the problem? This key is there because I need it, as I want to change the language often and quickly. It could be a gesture instead, but I haven't managed yet to make gestures work with multitouch. If I make this key optional (but it will not be a priority for me, as it is not that easy), what would you like instead? Nothing? Another key?

--
    Cyril
    Last edited by cyril; 01-20-2010 at 12:52 AM.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid CM7 + deprimed
    Hey Cyril,
    Thanks for your great work; I've been following along, since this is the first official M-touch keyboard that I'm aware of.

Regarding empty bubble popups, please also emulate for Moto Droid screen resolution, since I've been experiencing the same bug. Slightly increasing the time that the pop-up is displayed would also be a good move--seems a little too short right now.

The problem with the language key is that its existence and placement makes it more difficult to efficiently hit the symbol key. Changing language modes is usually something you don't need to do as quickly while typing, so I think your best bet here is to remove the language key and slightly increase the size of the space bar and symbol keys. Language and keyboard options can be accessed via long-press of the symbol [123?] key much like the other keyboards on the market. No need to re-invent the wheel on this one.

Finally, I always find that my typing gets slowed up the most by typing symbols. If you can get swipe gestures working, you might want to try adding commonly used symbols as secondaries to the main alphabet keys. They could be invoked by an upward swipe. This method would be a very efficient way of typing symbols without waiting for a long-press or changing to symbol mode.

Hope this helps!
    Best,
    Dave
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Okay..... this keyboard is extremely fast. if you can give us slightly gapped keys(like better keyboard) Id pay at least $10 for it right now. you guys go into your messaging and type "hahahahahahahahaha" as fast as you can with any keyboard you have. guarantee this one is the most accurate. i just tossed out better keyboard and swype for this. BTW if you give this predictive text, please please give us the option to turn that off. i HATE predictive/auto correction.
    Last edited by Detcord; 01-20-2010 at 04:41 AM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Hero
    Hello

if you wish to support the project with a PayPal donation, you can now do it on the web site: Smart Keyboard for Android (I know, the "design" is minimalist, it was done in 2 minutes )

Thanks DigiK. I will first correct the font size for the recent phones (N1 and Motorola), and rework the lang key later.

if you can give us slightly gapped keys
    what do you mean exactly ?

--
    Cyril
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril View Post
    Hello

if you wish to support the project with a PayPal donation, you can now do it on the web site: Smart Keyboard for Android (I know, the "design" is minimalist, it was done in 2 minutes )

Thanks DigiK. I will first correct the font size for the recent phones (N1 and Motorola), and rework the lang key later.

if you can give us slightly gapped keys
    what do you mean exactly ?

--
    Cyril
    well theyre sufficiently gapped actually(the keys), but id LOVE a skin like better keyboards "darkgray" for some reason the keys being rounded helps me avoid typos. something about them being rounded... i really cant explain it. but either way im definately hooked on this softboard

Edit God this keyboard is FAST... first softboard that can keep up with my fingers
    Last edited by Detcord; 01-20-2010 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Forgot some info
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid CM7 + deprimed
    Agreed on the speed; hopefully Cyril can maintain that performance after implementing autocorrect.

One additional note for now: Visually I'm finding the opacity effect in the negative space between keys to be a little bit distracting, since it's causing high contrast while still showing the screen behind. An opaque background color slightly darker (to imply some depth) than the keys would look really sharp.

Keeping the look simple yet elegant and functional while really focusing on the usability and typing speed of this keyboard will catapult this thing to #1. You're really competing against the solid but conventional Android system keyboard, since the others (Better & Swipe-like) have obvious deficiencies and bugs which always cause me to revert back to stock.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I'd like to see autocorrect, but just for simple things such as autocapitalizing the first letter of a sentence. I've gotten pretty good with this keyboard and am definitely liking it better than all the rest.

Especially the one that starts with an 's' that I won't name.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Links