DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook + Contacts connection?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Facebook + Contacts connection?

What does google use to find people on facebook through your account? I have a couple friends who I have the exact same name as shown on facebook, but their profile does not show up in their contact credentials. How can I link their facebook to their name manually?
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I have the same problem. What needs to be done to properly get a correlation between contacts and facebook?
  3. sir
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Open Facebook app - hit menu button and go to settings. Click on "Sync friends with Contacts" and select the option you want (Sync all Facebook friends, Sync only with friends currently in your contact list, or Remove Facebook data from Contacts).

I've found that the contact on the Droid needs to have the same name as the contact in Facebook, and the Facebook app will add in the info into your contact on the Droid. However, that data doesn't get updated in your GMail contacts. If someone knows how to get that to happen, definitely let us know.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The Facebook app does seem to rely heavily on names. I've changed the names for a few of my contacts that I knew were on FB but weren't being synced. I waited and they weren't automatically syncing, so I disabled Facebook syncing, saved those changes, then re-enabled it. It's now slowly syncing anew to all my contacts, and I am noticing the contacts whose names I changed are now syncing to FB!!!

It's a bit annoying, but I think this is the fix we have for now.
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You can also do it manually by opening the facebook app, then going into your friends list. Click the picture of the friend you want to sync with your contact and an edit contact icon should appear over their head (among other icons). Once there open the menu and you should be able to "join" the profile with one of your already existing contacts. Hopefully a software update will fix this so you wont have to constantly do this anymore. Hope this helps
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by falconsfins734 View Post
    You can also do it manually by opening the facebook app, then going into your friends list. Click the picture of the friend you want to sync with your contact and an edit contact icon should appear over their head (among other icons). Once there open the menu and you should be able to "join" the profile with one of your already existing contacts. Hopefully a software update will fix this so you wont have to constantly do this anymore. Hope this helps
    Doesn't work that way for me. I go into the Friend portion of the Facebook app, click the user photo, and click on the button to the left which looks like the Android contact icon.

I am then brought to the user's Facebook "contact" record, listing their name, current status, email, and a link to the Facebook profile. When I bring up the menu, the only options I get are Edit Contact, Share, Options, or Delete Contact. When I select Edit Contact, the screen refreshes with an error message that says "Facebook contact information is not editable on this device" with two buttons at the bottom "Done" and "Revert".

When I click on Options, I am provided with a screen to set a ring tone for the contact or to send incoming calls directly to voicemail.

Nowhere am I presented with an option to join the Facebook contact with another contact record.

I have Facebook set to only sync those contacts that are already in one of my other address books (I am not syncing all FB contacts).
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    you need to click and hold the contact, go to edit and then join is in there...

now that being said i've tried everything i can but i still have about 5 contacts or so that i have renamed and made identical, but for some reason won't show up under the join feature... anyone know what this is?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    The Facebook app does seem to rely heavily on names. I've changed the names for a few of my contacts that I knew were on FB but weren't being synced. I waited and they weren't automatically syncing, so I disabled Facebook syncing, saved those changes, then re-enabled it. It's now slowly syncing anew to all my contacts, and I am noticing the contacts whose names I changed are now syncing to FB!!!

It's a bit annoying, but I think this is the fix we have for now.
    The funny thing is now that I checked unsync and then made changes and saved then synced again, only 2 of my friends have their pics synced with facebook and the rest don't.....pretty much the exact opposite from before. I did notice that everyone has their profiles synced with their info in my phonebook but their pics aren't. Anyone have this happen?
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I would love to sync my facebook contacts but i have two groups of friends and currently the sync does not allow you to choose from facebook's lists of friends.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I would love to sync my facebook contacts but i have two groups of friends and currently the sync does not allow you to choose from facebook's lists of friends.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links