DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: 2 Questions - LTE Toggle Settings & Light Flow

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    HTC Verizon Thunderbolt

2 Questions - LTE Toggle Settings & Light Flow

First - Do you think Light Flow is safe? I like the app but there is that scary message you get when installing it on T-bolt that says it can monitor key-presses.

Second - As far as I can see all of the LTE Toggle Apps are about the same. Trouble is I have no idea what the other 3 settings mean (besides the LTE on setting.

Is there an LTE Toggle app that drops the phone down to 3G automatically whenever the screen is off and then automatically reconnects to LTE when the screen is on?? That is really all I would like it to do.

I used to like that power bar on the Droid 1 that allowed you to shut off 3G entirely with one button press and back on with one button press. Give me 4 choices and I'm baffled.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    First - Do you think Light Flow is safe? I like the app but there is that scary message you get when installing it on T-bolt that says it can monitor key-presses.
    Light Flow looks decent enough, it has a decent rating and a fairly high number of downloads

Ttheir website Light Flow - FAQ's <-- the FAQ on their website details why they need each permission they ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Flow FAQ
    The app seems to require an awful lot of permissions, are they all really needed?
    Yes, there's a lot of monitoring required to perform the functions the app performs, below is a list of permissions and why they are needed.
    Receive SMS - to register when an SMS has been received
    Receive MMS - to register when an MMS has been received
    Read SMS - to count the number of unread SMS messages
    Read MMS - to count the number of unread MMS messages
    Read Gmail - to count the number of unread Gmails
    Read instant messages - to access new notifications from Gtalk
    Read phone state and identity - to not perform sound notifications when in a call
    Read Contact data - to be able to see if the last call was a missed call
    Read Calendar events - to show calendar notifications
    Prevent phone from sleeping - to change the color in succession when the phone screen is off
    Modify/delete SD card contents - to backup and restore settings to SD card, and for logging if switched on
    View network status - to notify when there's no signal
    Control vibrator - for vibrating the phone on notifications
    Automatically start at boot - to start light flow when the phone starts up
    Discover known accounts, view configured accounts - to list the gmail accounts for notifications

When I switch on Accessibility for Light Flow it prompts that the app may capture credit card details, why do you want those?
    We don't. It's a standard message from Android when switching on any accessibility services, similar to if you use a custom keyboard a similar message pops up. We use the accessibility service to capture notification events in the notification bar and to recognize when you've entered certain apps to automatically clear down notifications. If you look at the permissions used by the app we do not require Internet Access or the ability to send SMS / Mail messages so the app could not do anything with captured details anyway!
    But as always use your best judgement. If something tells you not to trust the app, don't trust it. Better safe than sorry.

I don't have an LTE phone so I can't answer your LTE toggle question.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    HTC Verizon Thunderbolt
    Thanks. I saw all that but I wondered if anyone here had any personal experience suggesting it wasn't safe. The large number of subscriptions is somewhat comforting...and if it does steal passwords it already has mine so I might as well enjoy the app I guess.

Links