DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: handcent 160 split question

  1. Master Droid
    moot's Avatar
    Member #
    12631
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    425
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #1

    handcent 160 split question

    I have a question about the handcent "split 160" option. What happens if I leave that option unchecked, will it simply cut off my message? If that is the case, why isn't this option on by default?

    I've been sending long messages without this checked for the past couple of weeks, and no one has mentioned my messages being cut off. A little confused, some help would be appreciated.
  2. Master Droid
    mjs31's Avatar
    Member #
    161
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    873
    Phone
    Droid running Ultimate
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    I have a question about the handcent "split 160" option. What happens if I leave that option unchecked, will it simply cut off my message? If that is the case, why isn't this option on by default?

    I've been sending long messages without this checked for the past couple of weeks, and no one has mentioned my messages being cut off. A little confused, some help would be appreciated.
    I believe if you do not have it sent it would stop you at the 160 mark. If checked it would allow you to keep typing and send multiple messages. As for what is default and what is not, you should contact the person that made the app.
  3. Senior Droid
    spazma7ik's Avatar
    Member #
    19706
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    169
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #3
    It's not defaulted or mandatory because some people actually have to watch how many texts they send out (not me, just saying.)
  4. Master Droid
    RichStevenson's Avatar
    Member #
    2927
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Medina, OH
    Posts
    476
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    #4
    SMS is limited to 160 characters. With the option left unchecked, it will convert to an MMS message which I believe allows 1000 characters as well as pix and sound. If you send a message over 160 to a phone that can't handle mms, then the message is truncated to 160. That's where this option helps by splitting the message into multiple 160 character SMS.
  5. Junior Droid
    the5ilenced's Avatar
    Member #
    9120
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    21
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #5
    my experience with this...
    when sending a text to a non Verizon customer whether its via the default message app or handcent they would only get the first 160 characters of my message. This has happened to both friends on AT&T and sprint. Both apps would say i went over the 160 display something like 2/132 left and would appear to send everything but then i would get a text from verizon saying, only the first 160 characters were sent.
    When you enable the 160 split, handcent then seperates everything into 160 character text messages (until you hit 3 text then it converts to MMS) and sends them as individual texts.
  6. Super Moderator
    Martin030908's Avatar
    Member #
    248
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,836
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    I have a question about the handcent "split 160" option. What happens if I leave that option unchecked, will it simply cut off my message? If that is the case, why isn't this option on by default?

    I've been sending long messages without this checked for the past couple of weeks, and no one has mentioned my messages being cut off. A little confused, some help would be appreciated.
    It's not default because, as someone mentioned already, some people have to watch their text amounts and whether it's mms. But it is a great feature to have the auto-split for those that don't have to be concerned!
  7. Master Droid
    moot's Avatar
    Member #
    12631
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    425
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RichStevenson View Post
    SMS is limited to 160 characters. With the option left unchecked, it will convert to an MMS message which I believe allows 1000 characters as well as pix and sound. If you send a message over 160 to a phone that can't handle mms, then the message is truncated to 160. That's where this option helps by splitting the message into multiple 160 character SMS.
    Does it automatically convert to MMS when above 160 char? I ask because on handcent's options it says it will convernt to mms when it is 3 sms.

    Quote Originally Posted by the5ilenced View Post
    my experience with this...
    when sending a text to a non Verizon customer whether its via the default message app or handcent they would only get the first 160 characters of my message. This has happened to both friends on AT&T and sprint. Both apps would say i went over the 160 display something like 2/132 left and would appear to send everything but then i would get a text from verizon saying, only the first 160 characters were sent.
    When you enable the 160 split, handcent then seperates everything into 160 character text messages (until you hit 3 text then it converts to MMS) and sends them as individual texts.
    I see, thank you for your reply. Also, I've had split disabled for the past week, and have not ever gotten a text from verizon saying that only the first 160 was sent.
    Last edited by moot; 01-09-2010 at 09:37 PM.
  8. Senior Droid
    iSecks's Avatar
    Member #
    9304
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    108
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #8
    It's because Handcent isn't made for the Droid specifically. SMS messages will be split no matter what on any carrier except Verizon. For some reason, Verizon doesn't let you send SMS messages greater than 160 characters. Because Handcent isn't made for the Droid specifically, and MOST Android phones are non-Verizon phones, this option is left unchecked by default.
  9. Junior Droid
    AbsolutSweetie's Avatar
    Member #
    25408
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    5
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    #9
    I'm hoping that my issue has something to do with this also... Sometimes when my friend texts me from his VZW Treo it'll split it(usually into 2 or 3)- ex) "1/3 (text)", "2/3 (text)", "3/3 (text)" and the last message will say that something along the lines of media removed (I'm unsure of the exact wording as I erase my messages constantly)... I've had this happen with stock sms and with handcent. I wasn't sure if it was because I had the 160 split box checked so I unchecked that last night, but still its too soon to know for certain. Any ideas?

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. handcent sms question
    By segen77 in forum Android Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
  2. Handcent question
    By calicocal in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
  3. Handcent question
    By Daywalker in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 05:18 PM
  4. Handcent Question
    By OMEGA5 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2009, 08:34 PM
  5. handcent question
    By mhareu in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 01:47 PM

Search tags for this page

handcent 160 characters
,
handcent 160 split
,
handcent simple split
,
handcent sms split 160
,

handcent split 160

,
handcent split options
,
handcent split sms
,
messages cutting off handcent
,

split 160

,
thunderbolt texts cut off at 160
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+