DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10 things I would change about Market.

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID

10 things I would change about Market.

If I could overhaul the Android Market, here's what I would do:

1. Separate programs based on which version of Android they are intended for. This way Droid users wouldn't have to waste time with apps that don't work on 2.0 or later.

2. Better app organization. Google couldn't honestly think of a way for users to order apps based on things such as ratings, release date, and so on...

3. A way to ignore certain updates. I can't stand when I get a daily reminder to update PDAnet. I dont need better Mac support so why do I need to bother with the update.

4. Automatic updates. If I cant block certain updates then atleast let me set them to auto update.

5. Apps suggested based on the apps I already have. Netflix does this and I love it.

6. Age restricted apps. This doesn't effect me personally, but I could really see parents liking this.

7. App download lock. So parents dont open a bill with $4000 in app fees. I understand that you need to a credit card to buy them but you give it to a kid once and you're done for.

8. Data usage monitor. I cant say Ive come close to using the 5GB, but maybe some of you have.

9. Save to... I would like the option of determining where I save my apps.

10. Video previews. Rather then 2 preview images, all preview videos. it would be like commercials for apps.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Agreed with all of the above.

I think it just generally needs to be more appealing, some how the iphone app store just LOOKS more impressive. I know it has more apps, blah blah.

Just the user interface is miles ahead of android.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    All 10 of your suggestions are great. I also havent been able to sort my search results in Market. If I could sort by "free" or by rating, or by developer or even alphabetically.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DX
    Some great ideas there, the sort by rating I'm totally behind. Also, a way to bookmark apps to download later or read about later would be nice. And a long press somewhere on the app in the market to share the app link with other people would be nice as well.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Let me browse and research on a PC...
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I'm curious about #8. Why does it matter if I go over 5GB? I thought my unlimited data plan was, unlimited.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Excellent post, lets hope someone at google is watching and listening...
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DX
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
    I'm curious about #8. Why does it matter if I go over 5GB? I thought my unlimited data plan was, unlimited.
    It is unlimited.

Let me clarify...

If you are using the data on your phone, then it's unlimited usage.

If you are tethering your phone to your computer and you have the tethering package (which is extra through VZW) then you get a 5 GB allotment to use when tethering and unlimited usage on the device itself. Make sense?

If you want to check your data usage for how much data you have used on your phone, dial #data from your phone and you will get a free text message on your phone giving you the stats. You can also log into your My Verizon account at VerizonWireless.com and check your data usage for both data you have used on your phone and if you tether you can check the amount of data you have used from tethering as well. Another place to check your tethering usage is to open your VZAccess manager software on your computer, which is needed to tether btw, and check the usage there.

Questions?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    I guess I didn't realize there was a difference either. I thought the unlimited data was like an "all you can eat buffet", unlimited in the sense that the number is so far out of reach. I know how they can figure out if your tethering through VZW but what if someone is using PDAnet? Can they still tell?
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DX
    Quote Originally Posted by krus_2 View Post
    I guess I didn't realize there was a difference either. I thought the unlimited data was like an "all you can eat buffet", unlimited in the sense that the number is so far out of reach. I know how they can figure out if your tethering through VZW but what if someone is using PDAnet? Can they still tell?

As far as PDAnet goes, idk. I would be leary using such a product myself so I don't. That would be a decision you would have to make. But they do know the difference between data used on ur phone vs. data used when tethering so...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links