DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Google Voice Question

  1. Master Droid
    markml0528's Avatar
    Member #
    129392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    897
    Phone
    Steel Droid 4.8 Droid 3
    #1

    Google Voice Question

    I'm looking into getting a Google Voice number. If I get a google voice number, will people only be able to call me from the voice number? Or will my carrier issued number still function?
  2. Master Droid
    markml0528's Avatar
    Member #
    129392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    897
    Phone
    Steel Droid 4.8 Droid 3
    #2
    Does anyone know? I googled it but can't find an answer

    Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  3. Senior Droid
    LocoRon's Avatar
    Member #
    158083
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    140
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    D4
    #3
    They both will work.

    You will have to setup your Google Voice to forward to whatever carrier issued number you want to receive GV calls on (I think you can set up to five lines).

    You can still just use your base number, for whatever reason.

    Just be sure not to port your number over.
  4. Master Droid
    markml0528's Avatar
    Member #
    129392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    897
    Phone
    Steel Droid 4.8 Droid 3
    #4
    Thank you.

    Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  5. Droid Sensei
    takeshi's Avatar
    Member #
    10236
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,600
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoRon View Post
    You can still just use your base number, for whatever reason.
    GV voicemail is the only feature that will work with your carrier number. For that reason, my GV number is the only number I use. That allows me to use all of GV's features for any caller.
  6. Master Droid
    markml0528's Avatar
    Member #
    129392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    897
    Phone
    Steel Droid 4.8 Droid 3
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoRon View Post
    You can still just use your base number, for whatever reason.
    GV voicemail is the only feature that will work with your carrier number. For that reason, my GV number is the only number I use. That allows me to use all of GV's features for any caller.
    So if people call my carrier issued number, will google voice intercept it or something? Or will my phone ring as normal?

    Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  7. Master Droid
    markml0528's Avatar
    Member #
    129392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    897
    Phone
    Steel Droid 4.8 Droid 3
    #7
    Does google voice give you unlimited calls/texts in the u.s.?

    Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  8. Junior Droid
    melissapugs's Avatar
    Member #
    189464
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25
    Phone
    Optimus V
    #8
    Just throwing this out there - google voice is unlimited itself, but does use minutes off your phone plan. I am on Virgin with only 300 minutes (but unlimited data, all for $25), so google wasn't viable option - but anything else wifi is. I went with skype: $3 a month to call any number (not just skype - can call mobile and landlines anywhere in the US) and additional $3 per month for a number people can direct dial to call me on skype via my phone. Ended up costing less than the next minute plan up on Virgin - 1200 minutes for $40. Also, saw something on vonage mobile - $20 per month for unlimited worldwide calling. No idea if that uses minutes, which skype does not.
  9. Droid
    ss13's Avatar
    Member #
    5612
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    85
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #9
    I use google voice on my TB. I get calls from both numbers and I make calls outgoing from both numbers. There is a great app called Voice Choice that you can choose which numbers get called from which number, or you can have the phone prompt you when you call. It does use the carrier network for all calls, as previously stated. I say get a GV number, and play around with the settings before telling everyone your new number, or porting another number to it.
  10. Master Droid
    tennvol's Avatar
    Member #
    8306
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    322
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by melissapugs View Post
    Just throwing this out there - google voice is unlimited itself, but does use minutes off your phone plan. I am on Virgin with only 300 minutes (but unlimited data, all for $25), so google wasn't viable option - but anything else wifi is. I went with skype: $3 a month to call any number (not just skype - can call mobile and landlines anywhere in the US) and additional $3 per month for a number people can direct dial to call me on skype via my phone. Ended up costing less than the next minute plan up on Virgin - 1200 minutes for $40. Also, saw something on vonage mobile - $20 per month for unlimited worldwide calling. No idea if that uses minutes, which skype does not.
    Unless you add your GV number to your friends and favorites and then use a dialer app. Doing it this way makes GV calls free. Although you will lose the ability to tell who is calling since your GV number would come up on caller id

    Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Question about Google Voice..
    By Droid DOES!! in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-29-2010, 01:29 AM
  2. Google Voice Question
    By vthokies1996 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 01:41 PM
  3. Google Voice Question
    By Shadez in forum Android Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 09:10 AM
  4. Google Voice question
    By daddyd302 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 10:52 PM
  5. Google Voice Question
    By jjb in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 09:38 AM

Search tags for this page

does google voice use minutes on virgin mobile

,
does google voice use minutes virgin mobile
,
does google voice use verizon minutes
,
does skype use minutes virgin mobile
,

google voice mobile network not available

,

google voice wifi calling

,
mobile network not available android skype
,
skype virgin mobile minutes
,
verizon outbound call 0528
,
virigin 300 minutes skype google voice
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+