DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: app backup with market relinking

  1. Master Droid
    pandroid's Avatar
    Member #
    16107
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    855
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    #1

    app backup with market relinking

    just wanted to shed some light on a fairly new app in the market. i was going to write about it earlier but it wasnt working until recently

    anyways its called Titanium Backup in the market and what it basically does is it creates a backup of select or all apps including their data. then when you need to you can restore them with their data and the market links. so that if new updates come out, the market will notify you. unlike App Manager or whatever other app backup app is out there.

    EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE IS OUTDATED (but still works)

    fairly full featured it does a job and it does it well. one thing thats really missing right now is batch restore. batch backup already exists. i spoke with the dev through email and hes planning on many features.

    there a few prerequisites that are very important:
    root
    Busybox with LZO comopression
    SQLite

    if you run Titanium Backup and get one or both of the following errors:
    Testing LZO compression => FAIL
    Checking for SQLite => FAIL

    then read on, otherwise no need to keep reading

    download, unzip and copy the 2 files to your SDcard. the zip i have attached contains both Busybox with LZO compression and SQLite3

    now move both busybox and sqlite3 to your current busybox location. if you dont know where that is; in the terminal, or adb, run:
    Code:
    which busybox
    that should spit something out along the lines of "/system/bin/busybox" which means "/system/bin/" is where you will want to copy busybox and sqlite

    in order to move the 2 files to, in my case, "/system/bin" i would run from adb or a terminal
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox mv /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox2
    busybox mv /sdcard/sqlite3 /system/bin/
    rm /system/bin/busybox
    mv /system/bin/busybox2 /system/bin/busybox
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot
    be sure to substitute "/system/bin/" with what we found earlier

    all thats left to do is run Titanium Backup again, and youre good to go

    edit: changed "mtdblock3" to "mtdblock4"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pandroid; 01-17-2010 at 03:55 AM.
  2. Junior Droid
    thereason00's Avatar
    Member #
    20099
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    13
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #2
    I could use links for each!

    When I launch Titanium I get testing root access ok (busybox 1.8.1)
    LZO compression fails
    SQLite failed.

    Using 2.1.9 beta.

    Thanks!
  3. Junior Droid
    psycopcs's Avatar
    Member #
    22469
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #3
    Yeah, that would be great if you could post that and any instructions on installing the two
  4. Master Droid
    pandroid's Avatar
    Member #
    16107
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    855
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by thereason00 View Post
    I could use links for each!
    When I launch Titanium I get testing root access ok (busybox 1.8.1)
    LZO compression fails
    SQLite failed.
    Using 2.1.9 beta.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by psycopcs View Post
    Yeah, that would be great if you could post that and any instructions on installing the two
    i thought this thread was going to die...

    please check the first post for the required files and directions
  5. Junior Droid
    thereason00's Avatar
    Member #
    20099
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    13
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pandroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thereason00 View Post
    I could use links for each!
    When I launch Titanium I get testing root access ok (busybox 1.8.1)
    LZO compression fails
    SQLite failed.
    Using 2.1.9 beta.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by psycopcs View Post
    Yeah, that would be great if you could post that and any instructions on installing the two
    i thought this thread was going to die...

    please check the first post for the required files and directions
    Well I had kind of given up on this working since it didn't seem to when I flashed a 2.1 rom and was playing around, but once i saw this LZO compression issue, I was hoping that maybe that was the problem. So I'm gonna back everything up now (because your files both worked like a charm. THANK YOU!) and flash a fresh 2.1 rom and try a restore and see what happens!
  6. Master Droid
    pandroid's Avatar
    Member #
    16107
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    855
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by thereason00 View Post
    Well I had kind of given up on this working since it didn't seem to when I flashed a 2.1 rom and was playing around, but once i saw this LZO compression issue, I was hoping that maybe that was the problem. So I'm gonna back everything up now (because your files both worked like a charm. THANK YOU!) and flash a fresh 2.1 rom and try a restore and see what happens!
    let me know if you get it working on 2.1, id like to know.

    also the dev is working on a fallback to gzip compression if LZO is absent in busybox. so we'll see how well that works

    im a bit surprised this isnt getting more attention. this is probably one of my most useful apps. oh well, at least we got it

    The Germ Series, DroidMod & HelloDroid bootanimations
    kudolabs.net
    or 1NEk7HYFRHK9dUPmkApAkCY6kYE5YNfD8n
  7. Junior Droid
    thereason00's Avatar
    Member #
    20099
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    13
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #7
    Good news and bad...

    restoring data works, however, if you try and restore data to an app that isn't installed and you press 'app + data' or 'app only' you get a 'problem parsing package' error. BUT if you install the app from the market OR, which is better, use ASTRO to backup the actual apps/.apk files then do a batch reinstall, you can then restore the data to those apps pretty easily. I tried it on a few apps that i opened, started new, then restored the data and my settings and things were there.

    Example: Installed Shazam on a fresh 2.1 ROM, hit the agree button, completely new app, went to Titanium to restore and re-ran it and all my tags were there again.

    So basically as far as I can tell, restoring settings works, re-installing the app itself from within the program does not. At least on a 2.1 ROM...


    PS. did you compile the busybox with LZO compression yourself? I was looking all over for an updated version while I was waiting for your updated post with links, and was just curious. I'm a windows person myself so I have no experience compiling UNIX binaries and things like that.
  8. Master Droid
    pandroid's Avatar
    Member #
    16107
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    855
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by thereason00 View Post
    Good news and bad...

    restoring data works, however, if you try and restore data to an app that isn't installed and you press 'app + data' or 'app only' you get a 'problem parsing package' error. BUT if you install the app from the market OR, which is better, use ASTRO to backup the actual apps/.apk files then do a batch reinstall, you can then restore the data to those apps pretty easily. I tried it on a few apps that i opened, started new, then restored the data and my settings and things were there.

    Example: Installed Shazam on a fresh 2.1 ROM, hit the agree button, completely new app, went to Titanium to restore and re-ran it and all my tags were there again.

    So basically as far as I can tell, restoring settings works, re-installing the app itself from within the program does not. At least on a 2.1 ROM...


    PS. did you compile the busybox with LZO compression yourself? I was looking all over for an updated version while I was waiting for your updated post with links, and was just curious. I'm a windows person myself so I have no experience compiling UNIX binaries and things like that.
    hrm, i think that might be a 2.1 specific issue, because it seems to work just fine for me on 2.01. i dont really feel like giving it a test right now so i cant confirm. i suggest emailing the dev. he'll probably ask you for a logcat and have a fix out pretty quickly. that what he did for me when i had issues with a forceclose on batch select.

    i actually got the busybox and sqlite3 straight from the dev. i dont think he compiled it himself because he was surprised to see that LZO is not enabled by default. but im definitely capable of compiling it myself. so if you have any questions, feel free to ask

    The Germ Series, DroidMod & HelloDroid bootanimations
    kudolabs.net
    or 1NEk7HYFRHK9dUPmkApAkCY6kYE5YNfD8n
  9. Junior Droid
    thereason00's Avatar
    Member #
    20099
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    13
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by pandroid View Post
    hrm, i think that might be a 2.1 specific issue, because it seems to work just fine for me on 2.01. i dont really feel like giving it a test right now so i cant confirm. i suggest emailing the dev. he'll probably ask you for a logcat and have a fix out pretty quickly. that what he did for me when i had issues with a forceclose on batch select.

    i actually got the busybox and sqlite3 straight from the dev. i dont think he compiled it himself because he was surprised to see that LZO is not enabled by default. but im definitely capable of compiling it myself. so if you have any questions, feel free to ask
    I tried it last night with a 2.0.1 ROM as well after I saw your post and I get the same package parse problem. Again, if I installed an app from the market or from ASTRO file viewer apk backups and restored my data with Titanium, the data restores fine. Must be a Droid specific problem if it works fine on the platform he's developing on..
  10. Junior Droid
    Keramidas's Avatar
    Member #
    24129
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    27
    Phone
    Nexus One, HTC Hero
    #10
    Hi all,

    I'm the developer of Titanium Backup.
    Thank you pandroid for spreading the word :-)

    thereason00: I've registered here to answer your question.

    Yes, as you already know, I don't have a Droid and I develop on a Linux machine tied to my rooted HTC Hero. I develop with the utmost care, yet I missed the fact that LZO compression is supported only by the busybox that is shipped in the MoDaCo 3.0 ROM that I use. When I noticed it, I released a 2.1.9 version which adds a compression check on startup, and prevents further operation unless a suitable busybox (such as the one posted here) is installed. I think this busybox is compiled by Paul (the MoDaCo admin) who also packages these ROMs.

    Now, if you backed up apps or data with Titanium Backup 2.1.8 or earlier AND the non-LZO-capable busybox, you have to delete them. Without LZO, the backup itself generates zero-byte sized files. I believe that's what you have in some of your backups, which is probably why you still see problems (ie: invalid file header on apk install) with version 2.1.9.

    Please try to do a fresh backup of an app with 2.1.9 (with proper busybox of course) then uninstall that app and try to restore it completely from the backup. It should work and if it doesn't, please report here and I will fix it.

    As pandroid mentioned, I'm currently working on dual compression support, so it will work with any version of busybox, automatically falling back to gzip compression if needed. Current backups will be forward-compatible.

    Have fun...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Best Backup App?
    By matchstikmatt in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 09:46 AM
  2. Best backup software
    By kscdj in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 05:02 PM
  3. backup for droid
    By corey in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 07:18 AM
  4. backup
    By DroidMunkey in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
  5. MMS Backup???
    By 88Droid in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 06:10 AM

Search tags for this page

android attach to market
,
android relink apps to market
,
attach app to market
,

attach apps to market

,

attach to market

,
how to relink apps to market
,
relink apps to market
,
relink market apps
,

titanium backup sqlite

,
titanium backup there is a problem parsing the package
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+