Install and Memory usages of popular launchers
Here are the average install sizes and memory used for some popular, free launchers. I used "OSMonitor" to get the process info and manually looked at the install size for the rest.
These are the results on my Motorola Droid.
Fresh install. No customizations.
- Launcher2 (default) [~244KB size] = 29+ MB memory running
- Zeam [~828KB size] = 35+ MB memory running
- ADW.Launcher (with notifications) [~1.75MB size] = 26MB / 27MB / 30 MB = 83+ MB memory running (3 processes)
- GoLauncher EX (with notifications) [~3.7MB size] = ??* / 14 MB (notifications) = 14+ MB memory running (2+ processes)
- LauncherPro [~3.54MB size] = 26MB / 28MB / 26MB / 28MB = 108+ MB memory running (4 processes)
*GoLauncher EX and LauncherPro are very similar so I suspect they have similar process usages (even though GoLauncher EX would not show up for me in OS Monitor even when set to stay in memory)
Smallest installed size: Launcher2 (the default launcher)
Largest installed size: GoLauncher EX (with notifications)
Least memory usage while running: Launcher2 (the default launcher)
Most memory usage while running: LauncherPro / GoLauncher EX*
Average size/memory usage: ADW.Launcher
More features = potentially lower speed, more bugs, and less space. Is it worth it? Yup.
If you have any of the paid launchers, please post your results.
Tips / Links
Reduce launcher homescreen redraw lag (root required)
Go Launcher EX