Better calendar app
Hi, I'm a complete newbie to Droid, just upgraded from a Blackberry Storm to a HTC Incredible yesterday. So far liking just about everything except for the calendar app. On the blackberry, I could:
1. Send an invitation to my wife without using anything else. When received she could accept / decline / propose changes, etc.
2. Use my phone as the one and only source of events - didn't have to sync up with google calendar or Outlook or anything else.
3. Set up a conference call appointment - complete with # to call and an option to automatically dial the meeting PIN. This was VERY useful
I'm looking for something similar - I have no desire to put all of my private appointments on Google, nor do I wish to set up any type of PC based server to keep a "master list". Is there an app that will give me blackberry like options?
Just to follow up, here's what I would want a droid calendar app to do (and what is apparently missing from all the droid apps???)
1. Ability to set up the following types of entries:
- conference calls (including associated phone # and access code with phone dialing these automatically when appointment comes up)
- recurring events (usual functionality)
2. Ability to set up appointments and send them to another person (running same software, presumably). And for them to be able to accept / decline / propose new time. WITHOUT having any other software involved - Outlook calendars, Google calendars, whatever.
3. Reminder alarms before the event occurs. One gripe I had with the BB Storm was that you had to pick a single reminder interval for all events. Which means if I set it for 15 minutes (typical for a meeting), it would beep every 15 minutes for a week before my wife's birthday and anniversary....
Truthfully, I'm absolutely SHOCKED that there doesn't seem to be something like this out there? This is basic calendar functionality that has been around for 20 years???
Thanks, and sorry to rant, just can't believe there isn't something out there that already does this.
On that note...how hard is coding applications? This type of stuff can't be that difficult to do....
Originally Posted by SPowell42
A: "what is apparently missing from all the droid apps???), I surely do not want Angry Birds to have any of the functionality you mention!
Why would I want another bloated piece of software when there are 'cloud' type solutions to accomplish most of this? You even had problems with the lack of functionality of the calendaring for the BB.
1. With the included calendar (using Google), I can
* Invite guests
* Set reminders
* Establish recurring events
* Set up conference calls (does not automatically call)
I do not want it to automatically call as I try to call using the least expensive method. When home, I use the land line (FIOS free call) rather than burn up my cell minutes. At client sites or hotels, I use their phone systems. I personally have not seen any calendaring that automatically places 'conference calls' when the time arises; the adding of the "pass code' for conference calls might cause a problem, different conference systems use differing protocols.
2. With the current calendaring using Google, I send out invites and receive responses. They can propose new times in their replies
3. Google calendar allows you to set up multiple reminders per calender event.
Yep, I can see your technical experience by the comment "how hard is coding applications? This type of stuff can't be that difficult to do"
If you think it is not so hard, then why don't you develop a product that meets your exact needs and market it.