DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maker of "Angry Birds" seems to prefer Apple

1. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member

Maker of "Angry Birds" seems to prefer Apple

Yeah, I have to consider the source. This was brought to my attention on Twitter by Stephen Fry (a big Apple fan). You can read the whole thing at Peter Vesterbacka, Maker of Angry Birds Talks about the Birds, Apple, Android, Nokia, and Palm/HP|Mobile and Social Media but here are a couple of highlights:

3. I have tried your games on various platforms including Maemo (Bounce). How do you view the various mobile OSs in regard to the future of mobile technology? Which will prevail?
    “Apple will be the number one platform for a long time from a developer perspective, they have gotten so many things right. And they know what they are doing and they call the shots. Android is growing, but it’s also growing complexity at the same time. Device fragmentation not the issue, but rather the fragmentation of the ecosystem. So many different shops, so many different models. The carriers messing with the experience again. Open but not really open, a very Google centric ecosystem. And paid content just doesn’t work on Android.

9. Why did you decide to make the Android version free and is that going to change any time soon?
    “Free is the way to go with Android. Nobody has been successful selling content on Android. We will offer a way to remove the ads by paying for the app, but we don’t expect that to be a huge revenue stream.”

I saw another article on the same site with 5 reasons the Droid will not kill the iPhone, so this must be an Apple site.
    Last edited by aaf709; 12-31-2010 at 11:59 AM.

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Yep, I think Angry Birds cost about 6 bucks in the app store. I don't like it myself so I never bought it for the iPad.

The amount of advertising on Angry Birds IMHO is minimal. It's as free as you could want it to be. When you go from Android to Apple and see their App Store there is a moment of price shock.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Of course he prefer apple cause all he seems concerned about is revenue. That's right in line with apple values...as well as marketing

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    __Hmong_Xiong__
    Phone
    Android All Day
    all i can say is that us Android owners gets Angry Birds for free is awesome bc i dislike paying for apps...
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    He's missing out is all I can say.....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmong_Xiong View Post
    all i can say is that us Android owners gets Angry Birds for free is awesome bc i dislike paying for apps...
    Really you're very lucky, and I'm not trying to change the topic but the fact is revenue kind of drives most developers. And it seems to me that the majority of people who use Android devices don't want to kick out 10 bucks for a good app. So as a result when people complain about the Android Market, well, you get what you pay for.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  8. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    The iPhone app is .99 and its more for the iPad because of resolution but there are no ads on either. Its free on Android because Rovio makes their money on ads. Money is the drive behind basically everything these days.

Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmong_Xiong View Post
    Really you're very lucky, and I'm not trying to change the topic but the fact is revenue kind of drives most developers. And it seems to me that the majority of people who use Android devices don't want to kick out 10 bucks for a good app. So as a result when people complain about the Android Market, well, you get what you pay for.

DroidForums junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  9. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    And it seems to me that the majority of people who use Android devices don't want to kick out 10 bucks for a good app. So as a result when people complain about the Android Market, well, you get what you pay for.
    I'll pay for an app I'll use and even will pay for some I don't need to just because I want to support the developer. The way I see it, how many apps will a coffee from Starbucks buy and how long will that app last vs the amount of time that coffee will be in your system?

For myself, I don't play Angry Birds that much so I might not pay for it I could. If I played it a lot that might be different.
    Last edited by aaf709; 12-31-2010 at 01:00 PM.
  10. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    I emailed them my .02 on this....

For business dev, contact teija.alatalo@rovio.com
    For marketing & PR, contact ville.heijari@rovio.com
    Creator od Angry Birds peter.vesterbacka@rovio.com
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member
    I like the lite and ad versions so I get a chance to try it for more than a moment. Every ad supported app that I've kept the allows ad free with donation I've upgraded to the ad free. Same with lite versions.
    At the same time there are well over 100 lite or ad apps that I no longer have because they didn't work right and /or fit my needs.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links