DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, so I want to develop an app...

Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr

Ok, so I want to develop an app...

But I'm not a programmer, I've never coded anything before, and I have a very very very basic knowledge of HTML programing. And when I say "basic", I mean, I can put something together in Dreamweaver and then go into the code part and read it and kinda see where it makes the page look the way it does. Maybe even edit a line or two. I don't even think that HTML matters in Android development because I'm reading that its based on Java.

Okay, with that background, is there a step-by-step guide to learning how to code for Android? Is the Android Dev site the place I should go for that or is there another tutorial that might be helpful?

Thanks.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    No offense but you're pretty screwed... You need to be fairly well versed in Java to make a good app (even a very basic app is going to require moderate java skills). You're best bet is to pick up some Java books and start with the basics. There are not really any 'coding for Android' books (well, no good ones worth the money)... Get a basic understanding of Java and then pick-up a book on the Android OS (there are a few) and you'll be able to put it together... or take a class (there was one link from a few days ago offering a free online course, but again, you need to already know Java)... Good luck...
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Incredible Droid
    This is like saying, I want to do heart surgery on my wife, but I'm not a doctor, is there a book I can read first?

lmao
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
    This is like saying, I want to do heart surgery on my wife, but I'm not a doctor, is there a book I can read first?

lmao
    Except instead of doing surgery you are writing code and instead of your wife's life on the line you have a couple days worth of wasted time.

Seriously it's not that difficult. Take a look to go over Java. Then take a look at the sample codes in the Android SDK and try to fill in the blanks and make some friends with java experience/android experience.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    G1 and MotoDroid
    YES!~~ it is called Hello Android (like here: Micro Center - Hello Android: Introducing Google's Mobile Development Platform, 2nd Edition) and should be able to walk you through the basics. I'd also suggest picking up a book on Java/XML. It will help you a lot, as well. Don't listen to them, I'm in the same situation you are (however I'm also going to school for similar programming, so I might be a bit ahead of you.) Good Luck!~
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Damn...well, I am a doctor, but I guess I should have gone to programming school instead. Oh well...this may be too involved to learn from scratch for someone with not enough time.
    How about going at it from another end. What about a company that develops apps for others for a fee?
  7. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Actually forensicdad there is a free online course being offered for Android development.

I think it's great you are taking the initiative to at least try and learn. good job : )

Good luck and let me know if you registered and decided to do it.

Here is the link:

Live Online Course: Developing Android Applications with Java - Training
    Last edited by cereal killer; 02-15-2010 at 07:08 PM.
  8. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForensicDroid View Post
    Damn...well, I am a doctor, but I guess I should have gone to programming school instead. Oh well...this may be too involved to learn from scratch for someone with not enough time.
    How about going at it from another end. What about a company that develops apps for others for a fee?
    I was going to suggest this. It sounds like you've got an idea for an app. It may be far less frustrating to team up with a college student who has already taken Java or find someone out there to partner with. There are some developers that post here, see if one is interested.
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post
    I was going to suggest this. It sounds like you've got an idea for an app. It may be far less frustrating to team up with a college student who has already taken Java or find someone out there to partner with. There are some developers that post here, see if one is interested.
    Yeah, if I can't figure out how to do it myself, I might have to do that. But I just don't want them to steal my idea. Not that its so amazing, but still.

Thanks CK, I'll have to look into that. I might run into some time issues, but I'll see if I can work it.
    Last edited by ForensicDroid; 02-15-2010 at 07:32 PM.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post
    ^+ There was a guy that joined last night that was wanting ideas. Seen a few others saying they'd be willing to develop apps for others (string(s) attached I'm sure) but it's def a route to consider.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links