DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Simple App Idea, not much experience

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2

Simple App Idea, not much experience

Hello

I've not much experience in Java and none in Android Apps specifically. Was wondering if someone could give me a hint or two on an App I'd like.

I basically just want my phone to sigh every now and then, not on a specific timer or anything but just to give a little sigh when it feels like it.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard for someone who knows what they're doing. I'd just like to know how much I'd need to know about what I was doing to put it together.

Any tips?

Thanks
  2. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    that would be totally useless but I would download it! sadly, i do not have any java knowledge either.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Useless maybe but it would give your phone a bit of personality. Could maybe even stretch to sighing a little more the more you ignore it.

I think people would go for it, hopefully someone can give me a hand with it
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr MAXX
    Haha, I like the idea. Yeah that should be a fairly straightforward app. I haven't done any "real" Android development yet, but I did spend some time learning about it. The app could set a system timer to wake up the phone at some random time interval in the future. When the timer expires, the phone (and the app) would wake up. The app would then play a prerecorded sigh sound (or maybe pick from a set of several different versions of the sigh sound). After playing the sound file, set another timer and repeat.

Are you looking to get started in Android development? Or do you just want the app? I've been trying to think of something easy to create as my "first app". Your app idea sounds interesting. So if you just want the app, I'd be willing to give it a try.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman5000 View Post
    Haha, I like the idea. Yeah that should be a fairly straightforward app. I haven't done any "real" Android development yet, but I did spend some time learning about it. The app could set a system timer to wake up the phone at some random time interval in the future. When the timer expires, the phone (and the app) would wake up. The app would then play a prerecorded sigh sound (or maybe pick from a set of several different versions of the sigh sound). After playing the sound file, set another timer and repeat.

Are you looking to get started in Android development? Or do you just want the app? I've been trying to think of something easy to create as my "first app". Your app idea sounds interesting. So if you just want the app, I'd be willing to give it a try.
    I've no real desire to get into developing to be frank. i've just had this in my head for a while. if you feel up to it i'd be forever gratefull if you managed to pull it off.

The plan is to first of all make my phone sigh every now and then. then set my text notification to a really sarcastic "yayy". i don't know why exactly but it just seems like what should happen. do you reckon you could do it? i think people might evwn pay for that, not a lot mind but still
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr MAXX
    Yeah I could do it. I won't make any promises about a timeline though. I'm busy at work right now. I'm a software developer, but not for Android. I don't expect this will take all that much effort once I get going.

Like I said before I have been looking for something to get me motivated to start writing apps. At least this app has one guaranteed user
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    DROIDX
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscady View Post
    I basically just want my phone to sigh every now and then, not on a specific timer or anything but just to give a little sigh when it feels like it.
    That's a great idea! How about the phone sighing when it detects a Low Memory condition: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sho....php?p=2059794

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Mate if you can pull this off you'll be my hero... and when google are offering you big bucks to come up with the "next" sighing app i'd have no problems with you telling them you came up with the idea.

I see no limit to thiss app really. whethrr its a sigh for low memory or an annoyed grunt when someone not on your preffered contact list tries to get in touch with you, it's going to lag up even the best of servers when it hits the street
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    LG Spectrum
    DroidForums.net Developer
    If you want it to just randomly sigh here is what I would suggest. A "sigh" will probably consist of just a small audio file, so check out the SoundPool class. Make your project a single activity. Use Java's Random class and call nextInt(). Pass in the max number of seconds that you want sighs to occur between and multiply it by 1000. Use Thread.sleep(time that the random generated) to cause a delay. After that call, call your SoundPool's play() method. Do all of this in another thread with an infinite loop.

This would be an easy approach to solving your problem. You could probably do it in a single activity. Hope that helped.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    LMAO! I know im pretty late but did anyone make this yet? if not then I can give it a go... this seems fairly easy!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links