DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: REQUEST: School Closings App

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

REQUEST: School Closings App

I just asked the forum if anyone knew of an app that listed school closings, and the general consensus is that there is no such app. So, I would like to request an app that lists school closings with a cool widget to go with it

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola A855
    I'll second that.

Is there a way to pull information based on your zip code, and Via the Internet?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtdroid View Post
    I'll second that.

Is there a way to pull information based on your zip code, and Via the Internet?
    Not sure if your asking me, and I'm not sure if i understand your question correctly. But, you can look online to find school closings.

I just think it would be much easier if there was an app that showed school closings, provided alerts, and had a cool widget
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The problem with doing an app like this is that there's no centralized location for the information and no standard way of representing it. I don't really see any practical way of building something like this because of that. It might work in one locality, but wouldn't work anywhere else.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtmonee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtdroid View Post
    I'll second that.

Not sure if your asking me, and I'm not sure if i understand your question correctly. But, you can look online to find school closings.

I just think it would be much easier if there was an app that showed school closings, provided alerts, and had a cool widget
    In my county, you can sign up to get SMS or email alerts for school closings (and urgent weather, traffic, amber alerts, and lots of other things coming next month, including requests from the police to look for suspects or missing people, etc...).

No app needed. An app would probably need to be county specific since there is no standard for how or where school closings are listed.

If you are interested in learning to program, this would be a fairly easy type of app top create for your own use.

Alan
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    In my county, you can sign up to get SMS or email alerts for school closings (and urgent weather, traffic, amber alerts, and lots of other things coming next month, including requests from the police to look for suspects or missing people, etc...).

No app needed. An app would probably need to be county specific since there is no standard for how or where school closings are listed.

If you are interested in learning to program, this would be a fairly easy type of app top create for your own use.

Alan
    x2

Without some type of monetary incentive I can't imagine many have much of a desire to create something like this, it would be a very specific app that would take only basic coding skills (so it wouldn't make for a very good portfolio of coding ability on top of that with only a very limited distribution).

However if you wanted to do it yourself it wouldn't be difficult. What better way to learn how to program than out of necessity?

Links