DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connect to car speakers

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

connect to car speakers

I just got a Moto Droid (and love it) and downloaded Pandora (which I also love).
    the Droid's speakers are not up to snuff for music, however. Is there a cable I can get to plug it into the car's stereo? (It has an MP3 player jack.)
    TIA for any help you can provide.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Short answer - yes

Long answer - yes, most likely but that is a very open ended question when you haven't told us what kind of car that you have. Some newer Civics have an auxiliary headphone jack in the front of the head unit. In that case all you need is a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. If your car is something without the auxiliary then there is probably some special auxiliary cable that you can buy that plugs into the back of the stereo. If you find there is no auxiliary in the back or you already have an aftermarket radio you can check with the manufacturer (or search the internet) to see what kind of auxiliary plug it has or buy one with the specs so you know that it will work.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidDancer View Post
    I just got a Moto Droid (and love it) and downloaded Pandora (which I also love).
    the Droid's speakers are not up to snuff for music, however. Is there a cable I can get to plug it into the car's stereo? (It has an MP3 player jack.)
    TIA for any help you can provide.
    Yeah, just take a 3.5mm headphone cable that is male on both ends, plug one end into the headphone jack on the phone and the other end into the MP3 player jack that your car has.

Doesn't get any easier than that.

-Mike
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by MK17 View Post
    Long answer - yes, most likely but that is a very open ended question when you haven't told us what kind of car that you have.
    It would be easier IMO just to ask the OP if "MP3 player jack" means a 3.5mm jack or an iPod connection (or something else). Odds are it's 3.5mm.

Quote Originally Posted by mcapozzi View Post
    Doesn't get any easier than that.
    I'd call A2DP easier (once pairing is done) since there's no cable to connect/disconnect each time.

3.5mm jacks don't tend to be all that durable.
  6. D16
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - BB Froyo Beta
    I hook up my droid to my car stereo every time I drive. I have a 98 Civic with an aftermarket cd player. Most peoples option with aftermarket head units is to use an RCA to 3.5mm jack cable. The RCA side hooks up to the Amp/subwoofer output(s) on the back of your head unit.

Once that is done you just run the other end out to an easy to reach area. If the 3.5mm end is a male connector, you just plug it right in to the droid/any headphone jack audio device. Female connections are nicer looking because then it can be mounted in the vehicle like newer cars have.

Here is a link where you can buy them in all different sizes if this is the option you require.

CablesDirect - 3.5mm Stere/RCA Cables
    Moto Droid - Android 2.2
    Bugless Beast V0.2.1 ChevyN1 Kernel 1GhzLV
    ANDROID ROBOT CHARGERS FOR SALE BY ME ON EBAY! YES, THE ONE IN MY AVATAR PIC. LINK-http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Android-Rob...item43a00da968
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    If you don't have an 3.5mm jack on the head unit, but do have an Aux button or a CD changer button but no changer, there are cables you can buy that pigtail off the back of the unit that allow you to connect with RCA plugs that can then be connected to with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter. That's what I use.

If you have a cassette player, there are cassette adapters that have a 3.5mm cable attached to them.

Or you could use one the the transmitters available. Some are BlueTooth others are wired.

Bottom line though is a direct cabled connection will give you the best sound quality.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    ...the only problem I have had, and not a major one, was that I wasn't able to plug (charge) my droid while directly connected to the stereo. Bad ground loop (alternator noise, etc...). A ground loop isolator would probably fix - just not that motivated. I just take it off the charger.
    MIUI ~~ BB
  9. D16
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - BB Froyo Beta
    Yeah I forgot that part, my cd player has aux1 and aux2 settings
    Moto Droid - Android 2.2
    Bugless Beast V0.2.1 ChevyN1 Kernel 1GhzLV
    ANDROID ROBOT CHARGERS FOR SALE BY ME ON EBAY! YES, THE ONE IN MY AVATAR PIC. LINK-http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Android-Rob...item43a00da968
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola droid

droid to ipod speakers

Thank you to everyone who replied. Unfortunately it is apparent that I did not make my question clear. I have a very nice set of desktop ipod speakers. There is a ipod dock with a male flat connector that corresponds to female jack on the base of the ipod. I'm sure that everyone is familiar with it. I was wondering if one could connect a droid to this system in some way.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by D16 View Post
    I hook up my droid to my car stereo every time I drive. I have a 98 Civic with an aftermarket cd player. Most peoples option with aftermarket head units is to use an RCA to 3.5mm jack cable. The RCA side hooks up to the Amp/subwoofer output(s) on the back of your head unit.

Once that is done you just run the other end out to an easy to reach area. If the 3.5mm end is a male connector, you just plug it right in to the droid/any headphone jack audio device. Female connections are nicer looking because then it can be mounted in the vehicle like newer cars have.

Here is a link where you can buy them in all different sizes if this is the option you require.

CablesDirect - 3.5mm Stere/RCA Cables
    Do not hook up the RCA side to the Amp/Sub outputs. Those are outputs, you have to hook them up to the Aux/In RCA inputs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links