DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola Droid Case Reviews

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 Verizon
    iDroid
    Yes, but a leather exterior.

What would be really kewl would be a dark, brown weathered leather exterior, I mean, while I am dreaming
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Here's a quick rundown of two slipcases I've tried for the Motorola DROID.

This first one I bought at BestBuy for about $15, a Lowepro device pouch.

It works OK, its well padded but as you can see it has a flat oval bottom which adds a ton of extra bulk. Overall I don't like it much so after a few recommendations I bought this next one:

G1 OEM case. Purchased on Ebay from global_dl (OEM PLANET) for $3.95 with free shipping! NEW OEM T-Mobile HTC G1 Google Phone Pocket Case Pouch - eBay (item 110455540978 end time Dec-08-09 21:05:32 PST)

I have to say its freaking awesome, best bang for the buck for sure. Check out how well it fits.

I put the DROID in screen down to make use of the wider part of the case and I feel its safer in my pocket than the glass facing out anyway. The G1 case doesn't add a lot of bulk as you can see and it seems to have enough padding to prevent the glass from cracking during a reasonable drop. Partially open sides make it really easy to grab the DROID to pull it out and an added bonus is that they allow for the DROID to be hooked up to a charger.

Thanks to anyone who suggested this case before, I'm very happy with it.
    Last edited by Zodduska; 11-23-2009 at 04:41 PM.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Shel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jappareti View Post
    I've seen a lot of feedback on the Sena Elega and the Sena Kutu, but has anyone tried out the Sena Ultraslim? It's the cheapest of the three, probably a lot thinner but I've never touched any of them so I wouldn't actually know.
    I don't think it will fit.

While at the Apple store, I tried out a Sena case for the iPhone, and it wouldn't fit. The reason is, the side was tappered, just as the iPhone itself has a tappered edge. The Droid, after much trying, simply would NOT go in!

Then tried an untappered, Sena vertical pouch (the Kutu case), and it fit like it was made for it (well, it sticks out just barely... I mean, you almost have to look for it to see that the top is just barely sticking out of the top of the case) and fit very snuggly.

I'd be very surprised if this case worked for the Droid.
    Just got back from the apple store myself. I tried out the Sena Kutu, UltraSlim, and the Corsa. All of them were way too snug for my liking. I couldn't even get the droid into the Corsa. I'm just going to wait for Sena to release "official" droid cases. I can see why Sena hasn't labeled the current iPhone cases as droid cases, they would be getting a lot of negative feedback because they don't fit quite right. Sure they "work" but it's not top quality.

I'd also really like to see a case with a magnet in it so app developers can get creative with it. I loved having my blackberry on vibrate in the case, and regular volume out of it. Probably one of the only things I miss from the blackberry. It's totally possible with the droid, just tricky since the case manufacturers would have to collaborate with an app developer.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motoroal droid
    I use the sena Kutu. Initially it will be a little tight, but after a break in period, it feels like a perfect fit.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanaka View Post
    I use the sena Kutu. Initially it will be a little tight, but after a break in period, it feels like a perfect fit.
    Exactly. My Sena Elega was the same way. About 3 days and it was perfect. Not sure they can really do much to make it fit better, other than relabel the box.
  6. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I want a fully enclosed vertical leather case with all the cut-outs necessary to fit my Droid, and a flip-up front so I can access the screen without impediment, and a removable belt clip. Just the ordinary case I've grown accustomed to with all my prior phones in the past.....doesn't seem like a lot to ask (although the slide-out keyboard might present design problems). Whatever. I'd even accept such a case that required me to remove the phone from the case to use the hardware keyboard.
    Last edited by racklefratz; 11-23-2009 at 07:05 PM.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Received my case today, It fits beautiful. A hard but flexible plastic.
    It has a rubbery feel to it. It snaps on an off quickly and feels tight
    in place. The finish is a mat black, and very nice for $8 total.

Quote Originally Posted by markmicallef View Post
    I just purchased this case/cover should arrive
    Monday the 23rd. It was only $8 including shipping.
    I will let you know how it works later this week.

BLACK Rubberized Phone Cover Hard Case Motorola Droid - eBay (item 260509727978 end time Dec-19-09 21:26:13 PST)

29550#ht_2159wt_958

Last edited by markmicallef; 11-23-2009 at 11:55 PM.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post
    Since the sizes are somewhat similar with the iPhone, I tried out a Cellet Bergam case,

purchased off of e-bay. It seems to work fairly well on a Moto Droid, but a few notes:

1. Pretty tight - even after stretching elastic out by hand
    2. The top of the Droid extends above the case about 3mm (no protection, but this must be by design, as the iPhone and the Droid are only about 1mm diffo in length)
    3. Screen is fully protected, as is the bottom, but the sides not as much (there's just a stretchy fabric, leather part forms a U around the phone, no sides)

I did not try the clip, but I know from other Cellets I had, that it works fine, is actually a pretty good clip. I want to use mine without the clip, in a pocket of my pants. It might scratch up a belt a bit, if it's soft enough leather. Doesn't rotate, as far as I can tell, so only vertical, if you go that way. I am still debating the lack of top protection, when I have things in a pocket that's not so important, and the leather across the back looks to be very protective. Still, and probably this is in part because the Droid is thicker, the case is fairly tight on the phone.
    OK, a bit of a tertiary update on the case. In between trying out other cases, I used this one a couple of days, to see if it might wear in a bit. It has, but only slightly, so the phone still sticks out of the top by 5mm or so, granted this case was made for an iPhone and a Droid is larger, but an iPhone must hang out a bit. But one more observation is that other than that, the protection is above average for a leather case. It kind of looks like they've sewn in a padding layer, maybe some sort of thin cellular foam or something, and have some sort of hard reinforcing, probably for protection. That may be why the thing hasn't expanded out to fit, things are still pretty snug, but protection is a good thing, and until the real Droid-specific cases start to come out, this may be what we have to live with.
    4th. update, tried this case for another day or so, and saw one thing, kind of reinforced another. The main problem is that it's just too snug. It's easy to get out of the pocket, the Droid except at the top is well enough protected, but it's just too hard to get out of the case, the elastic is too strong. Did all sorts of stretch and so forth, trying to break it in, no luck so far. And I haven't been able to figure this one out exactly yet, but in the case, I seem to have more problems with the Bluetooth connections, than with some of the other cases I'm trying out. So in the end, I think this one is probably going to go on the shelf, I'll try other solutions for now.

The Cellet line is out at:

Cellet® Products :: Chargers, Cases, Proguards, Charms, Skins

for anyone that's curious. It's pretty extensive, so it could be that there's a variant that would fit the Droid better. Everyone is trying to use iPhone cases, and I just don't think that's working, the Droid is Longer/thicker/less wide. Seems like some older phone would have the right dimensions, but if there is, I haven't found it yet.

When I did a search on Droid at the Cellet site, they came up with a number of cases, not this particular one , but here's some examples:

So apparently there are ones that Cellet considers as fitting the Droid. The pipeline is at least starting to fill up some, finally.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodduska View Post
    Here's a quick rundown of two slipcases I've tried for the Motorola DROID.

This first one ...

I bought this next one:

G1 OEM case. Purchased on Ebay from global_dl (OEM PLANET) for $3.95 with free shipping! NEW OEM T-Mobile HTC G1 Google Phone Pocket Case Pouch - eBay (item 110455540978 end time Dec-08-09 21:05:32 PST)

I have to say its freaking awesome, best bang for the buck for sure. Check out how well it fits.

I put the DROID in screen down to make use of the wider part of the case and I feel its safer in my pocket than the glass facing out anyway. The G1 case doesn't add a lot of bulk as you can see and it seems to have enough padding to prevent the glass from cracking during a reasonable drop. Partially open sides make it really easy to grab the DROID to pull it out and an added bonus is that they allow for the DROID to be hooked up to a charger.

Thanks to anyone who suggested this case before, I'm very happy with it.
    One thing I wondered about with the G1 GTMax case, is the difference in the phone sizes:

G1: 117.7 mm x 55.7 mm x 17.1 mm
    Droid: 115.8 mm x 60.00 mm x 13.70 mm

So the G1 is narrower than the Droid. The Droid volume is less, but I was concerned about the width. The pictures out on eBay looked a little tight, but the phone does seem to fit fine, from what I could tell from your pictures. On that type of pouch, I usually would put the longer (nominally back) side towards the outside of the pocket, figuring that the added protection is needed there, with the glass/screen towards the inside (body). If it gets jolted, then, mostly that would be from the outside, and you have maximized protection of the screen, by facing it inward. Does by any chance the GTMax case have a stiffened/protective back? Some of this sort of cases do, to kind of backup the padding.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    OK, this is a quick review, of another soft case that I purchased off of eBay:

This one came from cellularstimulas, I seem to be keeping them in business as I search for the "perfect" case, which let's face facts, is not going to happen until Senna or Vaja get their act going, but anyway, at $8, we're not talking something in a comparable price range. I think what cellularstimulas and some of the eBay sellers are doing is taking a Droid, and then seeing what existing cases fit it, and to varying degrees these all get the job done. When I bought my last phone, from HTC, they threw in a soft pouch, free, not sure why Moto couldn't have gone at least that far, and I did use the HTC case for a couple of days on the Droid, but it was just a tad short. Anyway, it's fairly similar to the cellularstimulas unit, which has a little tab saying "Sharp", so I assume that originally went with another phone or a calculator or something. The case is pretty much the standard slip case, the picture makes the edges look grey, they're not, it's all black, just the edges are smooth.

Pros

1. Big enough for the phone (nothing hangs out)
    2. A reasonable amount of padding (more protective)
    3. Pretty easy to grasp and hold (kind of a velvety feel) to get out of the pocket
    4. Inexpensive!

Cons

1. A bit wide on the phone (probably made originally for something wider) - you get a little more protection that way, and it still fits in the pocket, but it does add bulk
    2. With the better protection from the padding, comes some added thickness
    3. No real hardback type protection (just padding)
    4. Interior is very soft material (actually a Pro, you won't scratch the phone), but is not the microfiber type material that helps de-smudge the screen, as on some of the newer phone cases of this type.

So, overall, for the money, a pretty good deal, no complaints. The leather Cellet iPhone case I reviewed previously still has not loosened up, so for now, I'm using this Sharp case. Gets the job done, and is protective enough. I really don't know how these eBay guys do it for so cheap. Free shipping, delivery in a couple of days. But I guess we're 2-4 weeks away from an explosion of cases, as the various manufacturers come on-line and product becomes available.
    OK, a bit of added info, after more extended usage. The case developed a tear in the material, nothing too serious, but the cover is apparently fairly thin, and it's not bullet-proof nylon or anything. I am not of the exact cause, I did have another PDA in the pocket for a bit, but nothing sharp. The case is pretty roomy, so somtimes it dimples a bit in the pocket, might be related. I have/had an HTC pouch, came with the phone, that's lasted for years, seems to be of sturdier stuff, microfiber inside actually helps the screen stay cleaner. So the Sharp case could use some improvement.
Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Links