DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Magnet in the case problem...

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx

Magnet in the case problem...

I shoulda known better. My wife wanted a leather case for her new Droid. So off onto the internet I go looking for a green leather case that isn't too big, isn't too small, holds the phone vertically, and most importantly doesn't have either a velcro or a snap closure. (Like Frank Constanza, she hates that "tearing" sound of velcro and doesn't want a snap closure.) Fortunately, she was not this particular in her choice of husbands.

OK. So I find a EBcase that seems to fit the bill. But it has a magnetic closure on the front. Knowing that this might be a problem, I figure that if the phone is turned off and she places the phone in the case facing "out," it's unlikely that the magnet will trigger the multimedia or car dock mode. So I go for it.

Well, I was largely correct. But this ain't horeshoes and close don't count. The problem is that putting the phone into the case requires that the flap be folded back carefully to avoid triggering the dock modes as the phone is slipped into the case. Even worse, it doesn't happen consistently but only if the phone happens to brush the magnet on the way in.

So, this sad story has a single moral. Avoid cases with magnet closures. Don't try to overthink it. Just avoid them.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    incredible HTC droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    I shoulda known better. My wife wanted a leather case for her new Droid. So off onto the internet I go looking for a green leather case that isn't too big, isn't too small, holds the phone vertically, and most importantly doesn't have either a velcro or a snap closure. (Like Frank Constanza, she hates that "tearing" sound of velcro and doesn't want a snap closure.) Fortunately, she was not this particular in her choice of husbands.

OK. So I find a EBcase that seems to fit the bill. But it has a magnetic closure on the front. Knowing that this might be a problem, I figure that if the phone is turned off and she places the phone in the case facing "out," it's unlikely that the magnet will trigger the multimedia or car dock mode. So I go for it.

Well, I was largely correct. But this ain't horeshoes and close don't count. The problem is that putting the phone into the case requires that the flap be folded back carefully to avoid triggering the dock modes as the phone is slipped into the case. Even worse, it doesn't happen consistently but only if the phone happens to brush the magnet on the way in.

So, this sad story has a single moral. Avoid cases with magnet closures. Don't try to overthink it. Just avoid them.
    there is a dock blocker app in the market for 99 cents....should make your snazzy green case work.
    the ultimate droid
    ultimate droid V10
    dxtop home replacement
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i515
    +1 on Dockblocker. I use it with my leather case that has a magnetic closure. I also use the app to block the car home mode when I have the Droid in the car dock.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I also got a case that I was in love with...but then I found out about the magnet issue. I was so dead set on not switching cases, I used a mat knife to cut out the magnets from the inside of the case and covered the holes carefully with duct tape. I then used stick on velcro to replace the closure. Works fine now and no one is going to see the inside of my case anyway
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by zambrij View Post
    I also got a case that I was in love with...but then I found out about the magnet issue. I was so dead set on not switching cases, I used a mat knife to cut out the magnets from the inside of the case and covered the holes carefully with duct tape. I then used stick on velcro to replace the closure. Works fine now and no one is going to see the inside of my case anyway
    Zambrij, sounds like the perfect solution for you, but the likelihood that this would work for Jsh1120's wife is just about 0%.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    (Like Frank Constanza, she hates that "tearing" sound of velcro and doesn't want a snap closure.)
    I'm going to show my geekiness here, but it was Jerry's father, Mortie, who didn't like the tearing sound of velcro, not Frank.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs1976 View Post
    (Like Frank Constanza, she hates that "tearing" sound of velcro and doesn't want a snap closure.)
    I'm going to show my geekiness here, but it was Jerry's father, Mortie, who didn't like the tearing sound of velcro, not Frank.
    Argghhh....You're right! I'm deeply ashamed!

By the way, the saga of trying to return the case has been a minor nightmare. I would strongly suggest avoiding EBCases.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i515

By the way, the saga of trying to return the case has been a minor nightmare. I would strongly suggest avoiding EBCases.
    Why didn't you just spend the .99 and downloaded Dockblocker? It works great.
    a little obsessive...
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post

Why didn't you just spend the .99 and downloaded Dockblocker? It works great.
    Dock Nothingness does the same thing for free.

Links