DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Problem with moto car dock and charging

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Unhappy Problem with moto car dock and charging

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or if this has been asked before, but I have looked a good bit and can't find any information on an issue that I am having.

I purchased the motorola droid car mount and have a charger from verizon for the droid. If I plug my phone into the charger, the phone charges fine. If I hook the phone into the car dock, it switches to vehicle mode correctly.

Here is the issue. The phone does not recognize that it is being charged when the usb charging cord is plugged in and the phone is in the docking station. If I remove the phone from the dock (without touching the cord) it starts showing the "charging" icon. Putting it back into the dock it immediately stops charging again. In addition, the phone goes to sleep during navigation as if it was not plugged in.

Has anyone heard of this issue or have any suggestions?

Thanks

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has that newly rooted smell...
    First off, welcome.
    I've never heard of this issue. Nor can I think of any reason why putting the phone in the car dock would cause it to stop charging. I have the Moto car dock/charger as well and it works flawlessly. What's more, whether the phone is "charging" or not, it should not sleep during navigation at all (it should always stay awake during Nav, but not if you're just using maps)
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Wow, thank you for the quick reply. I was going to give it a couple days and see if the same problem continues after the 2.1 update. If so, I can only think to request a new phone.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    And to clarify one thing, it was going to sleep using the maps and not the navigation. I didn't consider the difference. Thanks again.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i515
    You can download an app from the Marketplace called screebl. It can keep your Droid from timing out using the Droid's accelerometer to sense whether it is in the car dock or not based on the orientation of the phone.

Screebl can distinguish whether it is being held or laying flat, so you can keep your screen timeout setting at the minimum setting of 15 seconds and it will never timeout while you are reading your email again.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    You can download an app from the Marketplace called screebl. It can keep your Droid from timing out using the Droid's accelerometer to sense whether it is in the car dock or not based on the orientation of the phone.

Screebl can distinguish whether it is being held or laying flat, so you can keep your screen timeout setting at the minimum setting of 15 seconds and it will never timeout while you are reading your email again.
    Thanks X. I hadn't seen this app before and it's one I was looking for.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidFan291 View Post
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place or if this has been asked before, but I have looked a good bit and can't find any information on an issue that I am having.

I purchased the motorola droid car mount and have a charger from verizon for the droid. If I plug my phone into the charger, the phone charges fine. If I hook the phone into the car dock, it switches to vehicle mode correctly.

Here is the issue. The phone does not recognize that it is being charged when the usb charging cord is plugged in and the phone is in the docking station. If I remove the phone from the dock (without touching the cord) it starts showing the "charging" icon. Putting it back into the dock it immediately stops charging again. In addition, the phone goes to sleep during navigation as if it was not plugged in.

Has anyone heard of this issue or have any suggestions?

Thanks
    I'm not sure if this is the issue you are dealing with, but I've recently found an option in the Droid that some people seem to have checked on while for others it is off and it would seem to be related to the phone going to sleep even when it is plugged into a charger. Go to "Settings" - "Applications" - "Development" and then make sure the "Stay Awake" check box is checked. This will make sure your phone stays awake while charging by either USB or AC wall charger.
    Cheers,

Links