DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going camping - cable question

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

going camping - cable question

Typically I charge my Droid every night, all night, while I sleep ... and most days that works well and I can go without another charge until bedtime ...

I'm taking the family camping in a couple months ... in the past while camping, I have been able to charge my phones during the day using my car charger so that I could keep my phone next to my airbed while I slept just in case I needed it ... but that was for my RAZR and LG Dare and LG Touch... which were all great phones but as you imagine, I use my droid a lot more than any old phone ... and I'll not want to keep it in the car, charging all night long, all by itself without me to protect it from the bears. LOL!

So I'm wondering if anyone has used extra long cables to charge their Droid ... I'm thinking I would be able to plug it into the car and thread the cable right through my car window and into the tent's 'doggie door' so I can watch tv, movies, play with my droid, etc while it's charging in the tent at night ... or even just let it charge and leave it be ... I know there was some mention of extra long cables losing data or something.

Any thoughts or experience?

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaperk View Post
    Typically I charge my Droid every night, all night, while I sleep ... and most days that works well and I can go without another charge until bedtime ...

I'm taking the family camping in a couple months ... in the past while camping, I have been able to charge my phones during the day using my car charger so that I could keep my phone next to my airbed while I slept just in case I needed it ... but that was for my RAZR and LG Dare and LG Touch... which were all great phones but as you imagine, I use my droid a lot more than any old phone ... and I'll not want to keep it in the car, charging all night long, all by itself without me to protect it from the bears. LOL!

So I'm wondering if anyone has used extra long cables to charge their Droid ... I'm thinking I would be able to plug it into the car and thread the cable right through my car window and into the tent's 'doggie door' so I can watch tv, movies, play with my droid, etc while it's charging in the tent at night ... or even just let it charge and leave it be ... I know there was some mention of extra long cables losing data or something.

Any thoughts or experience?
    What sort of distance are we talking?

You can get a couple of USB extension cables.

Monoprice has 2 Micro USB cables at 15ft length.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    OR...look into a product like this. But I don't have personal experience with products like this on my Droid. Used them on iphones and blackberries with no issues.

http://www.amzer.com/Amzer-Emergency...ers-P84075.htm
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i would say 15 to 25 feet ... thanks... will check out those links now.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You're camping out within cable distance to your car, in a tent, and want to watch tv and surf the internet on your phone?
    New Android Developer

Loving my Motorola Droid!
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeRo_C0oL View Post
    You're camping out within cable distance to your car, in a tent, and want to watch tv and surf the internet on your phone?
    Hell yes! I'm camping alone with five kids ... LOL! That's roughin' it enough don't ya think?

Actually, my boys have a hard time falling asleep that first night in the tent, so I have used my iPod to let them watch tv or videos to calm them a bit ... so this Droid would be great for that too ... during the day it's the great outdoors but at night, in the tent ... this Mom has to do whatever it takes!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Hell yes! I'm camping alone with five kids ... LOL! That's roughin' it enough don't ya think?

Actually, my boys have a hard time falling asleep that first night in the tent, so I have used my iPod to let them watch tv or videos to calm them a bit ... so this Droid would be great for that too ... during the day it's the great outdoors but at night, in the tent ... this Mom has to do whatever it takes!
    Please post what you finally decide on. Wife and I are going camping in a few weeks
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You are a brave woman
    Wendy
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    You could always get a power inverter and just run a standard extension cord into the tent. That's what I do to power my air pump when I inflate our mattresses. Of course you may have to have your keys in the ignition. They do make some that attach directly to the car battery as well.
    Last edited by dberthia; 01-28-2010 at 09:31 PM.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    Just get one of those portable car jumpstarters / powerstations and keep it in your tent. Even a small one will power the phone for a week.
    --
    I like cats - especially with General Tso's sauce.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links