DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh from CES 2010: PowerMat for Droid

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Fresh from CES 2010: PowerMat for Droid

Hey Everyone,

Today was a very exciting day for Droid users at CES. At the PowerMat Booth, I got a chance to get inside and learn about all of the new technology that PowerMat has been Developing. Before now, if a cell phone user wanted inductive charge, you either needed the goofy adapter or you had to put the bulky case on your phone. Now, thanks to PowerMat, this is no longer needed. PowerMat has unveiled a new inductive charging system for the Droid!

This sytem replaces the battery and back cover of the phone with their special battery and inductive charging system. The new cover contains the RFID tag that PowerMat uses to tell the charger to stop when the battery is full and has connectors that align to a special set of connectors on the battery.

Being that this is a magnetic based charging system, I did ask if this would interfere with the dock features of the Droid but they were unable to answer at this time.

Another cool feature was the powermat car charger. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and you set your phone into it. This automatically charges the phone for you.

Release date for this is June 2010. You can get it at amazon and also Wal-Mart and Target.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them if I can
    Last edited by Slick86; 01-09-2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Forgot release info

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    Tegamal
    Phone
    Rooted Bionic w/ ICS 6.7.2-223
    What's the life on the PowerMat battery? More/Less/Same?
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Me Want!........
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    In the second photo it looks like the battery door increases the thickness of the Droid. If so, you're back to the "It won't fit in the Dock/Car Mount/Case/Skin" problem.

On a desk the charging cradle is easy enough to insert/remove the Droid from and tilts the screen for easy viewing of the clock/temp/etc. which wouldn't be as visible if the Droid was parallel to my desk. And since I've got to run a power cord to the Powermat I might as well just run that cord to my dock.

Now if they made an adapter for the dock and I could mount the Powermat on the underside of my desk (thus getting rid of the wire to the dock) I might be interested based on the price. As it is, I'm happy with the dock and if pricing is in line with other Powermat options I'm really happy with the price of the dock.
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Naked Droid here so no "fit" issues with me. Wife has one for her work iphone and it works well.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    I knew the day that I got my phone that it would only be a matter of time before they came out with this exact product. It's just not practical to expect people to wrap a bulky cover over their phone just to charge it.

The only reason I'm really interested in this is for car docking. I hate having to plug in and unplug the charger (and the audio wire in 2 of my 3 vehicles without bluetooth). Hopefully they make a cradle that will just snap onto the ball of the Motorola windshield mount. I hope there's no issue with the magnetic dock mode though.

It would be sweet to simply snap the phone into the car dock and instantly have it charge and stream your audio via bluetooth...no wires to deal with.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Too bad it makes the phone thicker because it won't work with my Innocase. Oh well, it would have been a great solution for me otherwise.
  9. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Steve View Post
    On a desk the charging cradle is easy enough to insert/remove the Droid from and tilts the screen for easy viewing of the clock/temp/etc. which wouldn't be as visible if the Droid was parallel to my desk. And since I've got to run a power cord to the Powermat I might as well just run that cord to my dock.

Now if they made an adapter for the dock and I could mount the Powermat on the underside of my desk (thus getting rid of the wire to the dock) I might be interested based on the price. As it is, I'm happy with the dock and if pricing is in line with other Powermat options I'm really happy with the price of the dock.
    Yep. The cost of the Powermat (which I have no room for) is $99 and each adapter runs $30. The dock does the same thing for $30 with less room and has a nice display. Paying at least $129 just to charge a phone doesn't float my boat. Also, like Tegamal, I wonder how good the battery is.
    Last edited by aaf709; 01-09-2010 at 11:00 AM.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegamal View Post
    What's the life on the PowerMat battery? More/Less/Same?
    They were saying life was supposed to be the same as with the normal battery. the only real change to the battery is the addition of the charging port on the top of it.

Charging time was supposed to be the same or faster than charging throught wire.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Steve View Post
    In the second photo it looks like the battery door increases the thickness of the Droid. If so, you're back to the "It won't fit in the Dock/Car Mount/Case/Skin" problem.

One of their big goals was furniture integration. They are currently talking with manufacturers to begin having this technology integrated. They wanted the traveling consumer to walk into a hotel room, set their phone on the counter and it starts charging. Just one example.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links