DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Verizon Case with Car Mount

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

New Verizon Case with Car Mount

Tonight I stopped by my local Verizon store to see about exchanging my shell/holster case again. My case has the typically flaw in the top right corner that won't allow the phone to sit flat on a surface. I tried the one they had in stock, but it was worse that the one I had. Since I was at the end of the refund period, I decided to return it.

As the rep started to ring me up, another rep who'd just come out of the back told him they'd just gotten in a cool new case for the Droid. They both went to the back and returned a few minutes later with something I'd never seen before.

The case comes in a cardboard box with Droid graphics. The back of the box reads:
    Snap-on hardcover and mount offer a hands-free solution for your Navigation capable phone. Hard cover and mount are compatible with all CoatCase Duo Hard Covers. Easily adjusts for convenience. Designed for quick installation and removal from your windshield.

Package Contains: Snap-on Cover and Car Mount
    The case is thick and looks a lot like the one for by Body Glove. It features the same style of belt clip. But the bezel on the front isn't as high and the finish is smooth, though the coating has just a touch of tackiness to it, so it's not totally slippery. The sides do appear to be thinner than the Body Glove.

The attaching clips on the back of the display are also quite thin and don't look like they'll interfere with the slider at all. Like the Body Glove case, it's a bit difficult to get it on the phone.

The clip is the standard rotating/locking style that I really hate. But I'll admit that it can work as a stand to prop the phone up to watch stuff. Turn the clip straight up to get a shallow angle, sideways to angle the phone more. If the USB jack wasn't on the bottom, you could use it with Dockrunner and bypass getting a dock.

Stay tuned for Part 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Verizon Case with Car Mount-box.jpg   New Verizon Case with Car Mount-phone-front.jpg   New Verizon Case with Car Mount-phone-back.jpg   New Verizon Case with Car Mount-case-stand.jpg  
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    TEH ߀R DROID
    Im pretty sure I saw this about 2 weeks ago at my store... Then again I wasn't really paying attention. Its cool that they have a combo pack but the hard cases that Verizon comes out with for everything suck in my opinion.

Wagner
    If I owned an iPhone then I would think that iSUCK
    DROID FOR LIFE
    VIC DROID Member #1
    "So you took it apart and now it doesn't work? Why does that not surprise me?"
    "If I don't remember it, it never happened"
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Of course what sets this case apart is that it comes with a car mount . The mount is made of thick plastic and has a quick-release suction-cup on one end and a u-shaped bracket on the other. Three screws allow you to adjust the angle of the arm, angle of the phone and turn the phone to the left or right. These can be tightened down once you have things set how you like, though the one turning the phone left and right doesn't seem to tighten up much.

To mount the phone, you simply detach the clip, then slide the clip post onto the car mount bracket. The phone is held on the bracket by friction, which wouldn't seem ultra secure, but it's pretty tight (at least at this point). There are no magnets in the mount. So you'll have to enter car mode manually.

All in all, it's a pretty cool, if not perfect, idea and the fit and finish is not bad at all. I give kudos to "USA Wireless Solutions" - whoever they are. But I don't know that I'll be keeping it. The first problem I have is with the clip. This style of clip always makes cell phone twice as thick and stick out considerably when worn. The clip's attachment ring also prevents the phone from sitting flat when the clip is removed. In addition, the case also doesn't provide any protection for the phone's screen when worn because it turns the screen outward, unlike the shell/holster from Verizon and the Innocase from Seidio. Finally, the case is somewhat thicker than I'd prefer. But it could be a perfect solution for some of you. And at $29.99, it's considerably cheaper than the only current alternative case with a car mount (Seidio).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Verizon Case with Car Mount-mount.jpg   New Verizon Case with Car Mount-car-clip-close.jpg   New Verizon Case with Car Mount-car-clip.jpg  
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I bought my shell/holster case online, and have the same problem where it doesn't sit flat. Think I could return it to a store?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Storm (9530) IS GONE! DROID!
    This one doesn't have the magnet docking mode like the seidio one. :-(
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    HTC One - Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdroid View Post
    This one doesn't have the magnet docking mode like the seidio one. :-(
    No, but it doesn't cost $100 either for a case, clip (holster) and car dock. It isn't as good as the Seidio combo, but it is less than 1/3 the price. The Seidio had better be a better solution for more than 3X the price.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person that has the hard case that likes it. Mine fits great, and sits flat. I modified the car dock, (having to modify it sucked, they never should sell those two things together,but it wasn't hard to do,) and built a Lego dock. Gonna get the Seidio dock for my other car. All in all, it's a good case for the money.

That case sucks just because of the stud on the back like the Body Glove.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Boo, why couldn't they just make the existing car mount a touch larger to accomodate the phone with a case? I don't want an obtrusive round catch-all sticking out of the back of my phone, or walk around with my phone's screen exposed on my belt. Come on, Verizon!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I just bought mine today... and I must say it's a great combo. I don't use the clip, and the square mount on back didn't bother me, since I wear relaxed and not tight jeans. My case went on perfect and fits very tight. The texture and design is very much like a seido. Also as far as the magnet goes, I don't care for one since the 2.1 clock app does the same job, or you could use dockrunner if your on 2.0. But I only really have use for it with car home where I can do searches and use the Nav. BTW It was only 24.99 since I get 25% off. Thanks Flandry for spending my money.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Where did you buy this? I cannot find any mention of it anywhere online, except this thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links