DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Droid mounted to car with velcro?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiechase37 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Well I didn't really want to get a mount because I didn't want to fork up the extra cash. Plus I thought having it just sitting up there on some velcro would look pretty snazzy.
    How were you going to attach the Velcro to the Droid?
    Well I was just going to stick it on there with some kind of adhesive. That 3M stuff looks great, but it is certainly pricey.

Here's what my dash looks like:

So I could attach the Droid with some velcro right there in that blank space where the CD player is. I think it would look great! And easy with some velcro action I think. Thoughts????
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/CHASEM%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
    Looks like you have a CTS or SRX. Looks exactly like my SRX. I have the exact same CD changer with the "empty" space on the dash and tried your solution. That little section of dash real estate is just the perfect size for our Droids...

One issue I had with the Velcro: That area above the CD slot isn't exactly flat. If you add a strip of Velcro to the dash and then one to your phone, you're mating a curved surface to a flat one, and you'll have a very small actual contact patch that is holding your phone up. Mine would always rock back and forth when I operated the screen and then fall off. I just had regular velcro and not the industrial stuff, but I quickly realized that it wasn't as solid of a mounting method as I'd like.

Next idea: Now I didn't actually try this, as I decided to order a universal type mount so it would work with my Wife's phone or GPS if she drove the car. However, I think this idea has legs, so maybe you'll want to run with it. Use your imagination, as previously mentioned, I never went forward with this, but here ya go...

Take one of those hard plastic cases (the kind that clip on the back of your phone) Now turn that puppy on its side like it would be if your phone was in landscape mode, and cut off or file off the top part (the side where your volume and camera buttons are) so the clips on that side are now gone. Now mount that bad boy right on that area above the CD slot. You'll need to fashion some shims somehow to be glued to the back side of the case to keep it from rocking back and forth on the curved surface. The use some of these 3M Command adhesive strips to mount it to the dash. (I've used these to hang heavy pictures on my walls, and they will hold alot of weight but not damage the surface. Now your phone will just slide right in from the top and be held solidly in place in a low profile mount.

I'm still waiting on my universal mount to arrive, so the jury is still out on that one. If it doesn't work out, then I might just try the hard case holder after all. I'll try to remember to post results either way.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/Ultimate Droid 9.8
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    sounds good post above this one , but
    the 3m velcro pads that are used for I-pass units would be great
    used it for years with ham radio and phones, heat with hair dryer comes right off also when done with it
    it's called 3m dual lock but this price is nuts, I ask for them at the toll booths free
    Buy "3M" Scotch Dual Lock Reclosablefastners at BuyHardwareSupplies.com

or look at hardware stores

What is this stuff exactly? Is it adhesive? So I can use this with velcro? And how do you get it for free from toll booths? Do I just roll up on a toll booth and say, "gimme some 3M velcro pads" and then give them "the signal?" haha
    My company sells these Dual Lock 3M Fasteners on our wholesale site in two sizes:

If this is what you needed, let me know. You can order them here: ROUND DUAL LOCK FASTENERS - 9/16 HOLE - DLCparts.com - DLC Parts - but the site is not set up for small orders so if you need one pack or something just PM me and I'll help you with it. We also have the Dual Lock strips and Velcro, but since it is a wholesale site the quantities they come in are rather large...
    Verizon + Droid = The only way to go mobile!
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/Ultimate Droid 9.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Well I didn't really want to get a mount because I didn't want to fork up the extra cash. Plus I thought having it just sitting up there on some velcro would look pretty snazzy.
    How were you going to attach the Velcro to the Droid?
    Well I was just going to stick it on there with some kind of adhesive. That 3M stuff looks great, but it is certainly pricey.

Here's what my dash looks like:

So I could attach the Droid with some velcro right there in that blank space where the CD player is. I think it would look great! And easy with some velcro action I think. Thoughts????
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/CHASEM%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
    Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, but for such a nice car I would have a hard time sticking Velcro to the dash to hold a phone. I'd use the Panavise mount for this car with a holder. Here's a pic showing where it sits in this SRX:

Just put a holder on it and you're done!
    Verizon + Droid = The only way to go mobile!
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    ^^^ this. my car is in no ways luxury and i refuse to STICK anything, anywhere. suction or permanent mount for me all the way.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by 640k View Post
    ^^^ this. my car is in no ways luxury and i refuse to STICK anything, anywhere. suction or permanent mount for me all the way.
    Those brackets put it a little too far to reach and too low for my tastes. You can also get them to mount on the drivers side, but I didn't think I'd like it so low. Plus they are a little pricey, IIRC. Especially considering they are just a bracket, and you still have to buy a mount.

I'm not condoning Velcro at all. It especially seems out of line for a Caddy, but I had some on hand and gave it a shot. It didn't work very well, so I'm now working on something a little more permanent.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    IMO, anything stuck to the face of your dash like that will absolutely RUIN the elegant look of that console. It pains me to think about it. Kind of like putting a bumper sticker on a Lamborghini. I'm sorry, but I think it will be FAIL.

Windsheild mount FTW.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieg22x View Post
    I didn't read much with this thread but I just came up with an idea. I know there are many people who purchased a couple replacement doors for the back of their phones. You could put velcro to that and attach it to your car that way. Then all you need to do is replace the door when it is not being used in your vehicle.
    GENIUS!!! however, i bought the car mount and have it where i want. i just hate the magnet on it. i have my blueant q1 so do all my call crap for me. sometimes my bluetooth goes off (pisses me off) and its hell trying to get to the homescreen from that stupid magnetic mount i just want to press ONE button to mess with bluetooth. does anyone know of a way to block/disable the magnet?
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by skidemn View Post
    Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, but for such a nice car I would have a hard time sticking Velcro to the dash to hold a phone.
    I'm with the OP. That big empty spot on the dash is perfect for his Droid. I have a BMW and am planning on doing something similar. And, yes, my car is my baby. She goes to the track. She's my daily driver. She's kept clean all the time. But, she's still going to have my Droid stuck to her dash.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    chasemanhattan3
    Phone
    Droid 3
    BGRubb.....

What is a shim? I don't think I've ever heard that word. Sorry for being an r-tard. Sounds like a pretty good idea, but I might need more of a pictorial walk through, like with what shims are and what kind of mount you're talking about and all.

And Gloster, I'm with you. Droid needs some dashboard McLovin, I don't care if I'm driving a Lamborghini, cause this phone is the Lamborghini of phones!!!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links